No announcement yet.

Insane Floyd Patterson fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insane Floyd Patterson fight

So i was looking through youtube for old school fights because I enjoy watching the originators of the main boxing styles used in the modern era (ie. patterson/tyson, charles/toney, louis/golovkin, walcott/ ali,leonard) and stumbled on this gem. A beat down of epic proportions so enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4__GELsC4AI

Been a while since i watched a floyd patterson fight. Thanks for the share!
    The sound of them punches landing was brutal lol.
    ......that chin....!!!

Comment

the secuence of punches that starts at 5:10 is just brutal. great video

Comment

Good post man! Great to see this clip again but it's interesting to note that even at this stage, Patterson was outgrowing the middleweight division, in fact, he never once weighed in at anything less than 165lb if I'm not mistaken.

Imagine if Patterson had somehow managed to make middleweight, he could have been in the ring with Robinson or Olson or Fullmer and with his size and speed, he could have beaten anyone of them, especially as some of these guys were approaching the ends of their careers. In terms of Grant, it's sad that a guy who was highly touted as he was, would go on to have a limited career, ending in a KO loss to Olson.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          Good post man! Great to see this clip again but it's interesting to note that even at this stage, Patterson was outgrowing the middleweight division, in fact, he never once weighed in at anything less than 165lb if I'm not mistaken.

Imagine if Patterson had somehow managed to make middleweight, he could have been in the ring with Robinson or Olson or Fullmer and with his size and speed, he could have beaten anyone of them, especially as some of these guys were approaching the ends of their careers. In terms of Grant, it's sad that a guy who was highly touted as he was, would go on to have a limited career, ending in a KO loss to Olson.
          I read somewhere that the fight was being considered at lightheavy and that Sugar Ray was going to move up but Cus rejected the fight because it was a lose lose for Patterson who was so much bigger

Comment

Originally posted by HeThaTruth View Post
            I read somewhere that the fight was being considered at lightheavy and that Sugar Ray was going to move up but Cus rejected the fight because it was a lose lose for Patterson who was so much bigger
            Oh damn, didn't know about this but yeah, I can see Cus' thinking, the heavyweight title was vacant and Patterson would have felt more comfortable coming in 180-ish, rather than 175. However, Patterson beating Robinson would have been a huge scalp, missed opportunity maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Oh damn, didn't know about this but yeah, I can see Cus' thinking, the heavyweight title was vacant and Patterson would have felt more comfortable coming in 180-ish, rather than 175. However, Patterson beating Robinson would have been a huge scalp, missed opportunity maybe?
              The thinking was the similar to Hopkins-Kovalev. If Patterson(Kovalev) wins the public would say Robinson(Hopkins) moved up too much/was too old and if Robinson wins the public would say how could Patterson lose to a much smaller/older opponent. Lose lose situation for Patterson

Comment

My head hurts just watching it.

Comment

So i was looking through youtube for old school fights because I enjoy watching the originators of the main boxing styles used in the modern era (ie. patterson/tyson, charles/toney, louis/golovkin, walcott/ ali,leonard) and stumbled on this gem. A beat down of epic proportions so enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4__GELsC4AI
                  A great thing to notice here is, neither man backing up. This is called inside fighting. You know? Two guys who want to win the PRIZE they are FIGHTING for instead of ducking, dodging and bouncing for twelve boring rounds to pick up an inflated paycheck to the dismay of a bored crowd. When they say, the art of inside fighting is lost, it's fights like this that build that argument.

Comment

The thinking was the similar to Hopkins-Kovalev. If Patterson(Kovalev) wins the public would say Robinson(Hopkins) moved up too much/was too old and if Robinson wins the public would say how could Patterson lose to a much smaller/older opponent. Lose lose situation for Patterson
                    Circa 55/56, Robinson was still a major threat, one of the best on the planet and championship material but the age factor may come into play. Anyway, what ever the thinking, Patterson went on to beat Moore and the rest is history.

Comment

Working...
                    X