No announcement yet.

Golovkin vs Cotto is a HUGE mismatch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
    Let Cotto vacate then. I like Cotto but we all know who is the man at 160.
    Buffer rightfully referred to Golovkin yesterday as "THE" middleweight champ, not the WBA/IBO.

I dont really care too much about the belts.

Obviously Cotto-Bradley for the MW belt is stupid but its a much, much better fight than Cotto-GGG which as a boxing fan I care more about

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
      Cotto is a natural 147lb fighting at 154.

Golovkin is a natural 168lb fighting at 160.

Yes, it's a mismatch.
      Doesnt make sense. In any case Cotto is lineal champ at @60

Comment

Well he shouldn't have put his foot at MW then.

Comment

Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
          It wouldn't even be the slightest bit competitive, it would be a farce really. GGG mows through the best MWs with ease how do you think he's going to do against an over-the-hill JMW?

I think the best tests for GGG at MW would actually come from the JMW division particularly Andrade and Lara a couple guys who could use their movement and reach to stay away from GGG (as long as they dont fight in a pathetically small ring like yesterday).

GGG should absolutely consider moving up, not just for a potential Ward fight, but just so we can see him in a competitive fight because he's not getting one at MW.
          Agreed. I personally don't want to see Golovkin/Cotto, it would be a farce of a fight. Prime Cotto was walked down by Margarito, this would be far worse and pointless aside for some imaginary title.

I also agree that Andrade & Lara would make great tests for GGG. I doubt HBO approves Lara given the Haymon connection and the stinkfest he put on vs Alvarez & Smith, but Andrade just might be in no-man's land at the moment and desperate for the fight. He's made it clear in the past he won't move up to MW unless it's for millions, but he's got no options it seems and he's going on a year out of the ring.

It does look like Willie Monroe could be changing his mind about fighting Golovkin next. I don't think he's ready for it, but he makes for a fresh look against GGG.

Comment

Well tell Cotto to just hand GGG the title and **** off back to 154

Comment

It is a huge mismatch, but if Cotto decides to pretend he's MW champ, he needs to fight Golovkin. If he drops it, good, go, let Golovkin fight someone else for the strap.

Comment

Cotto fighting Canelo was the best hope of the division getting back on track. As things stand Mikey Garcia could be the lineal middleweight champ by christmas.

Comment

Buffer rightfully referred to Golovkin yesterday as "THE" middleweight champ, not the WBA/IBO.

I dont really care too much about the belts.

Obviously Cotto-Bradley for the MW belt is stupid but its a much, much better fight than Cotto-GGG which as a boxing fan I care more about
                  Cotto/Bradley for the MW belt is an awful fight that every boxing fan should ridicule and hate. It's much worse than Cotto/Golovkin.

Cotto wants to fight Bradley, go do it at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    It is a huge mismatch, but if Cotto decides to pretend he's MW champ, he needs to fight Golovkin. If he drops it, good, go, let Golovkin fight someone else for the strap.
                    Golovkin is THE middleweight champ in the fans eyes regardless of linearity or belts. A fight against Cotto doesn't prove anything for GGG.

Comment

Golovkin is THE middleweight champ in the fans eyes regardless of linearity or belts. A fight against Cotto doesn't prove anything for GGG.
                      So? Golovkin and his team have stated their goal was to unify the division before Cotto won his belt, and it's still the goal now. The excuse when Sergio had it was that Sergio was old and hurt. The excuse when Cotto has it is that he's not a middleweight.

Then drop the belt and stop pretending you are a champ.

Comment

Working...
                      X