Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a point in competing if you have no future plans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a point in competing if you have no future plans?

Some will say you can do it for a hobby and because it is still fun, just like you can join basketball leagues and such without trying to become an NBA player. But I feel Boxing is different as you're risking yourself even at an amateur level. I ask because I have one fight under my belt which I won but now im not sure if I want to continue competing. I still want to spar maybe once a week if even and get good, but boxing get serious quick as in getting more competitive. What do you guys think?

Well by starting this thread you've answered your question. Quit competing and spar once a week then. If you don't love competing in bouts don't do it.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
      Well by starting this thread you've answered your question. Quit competing and spar once a week then. If you don't love competing in bouts don't do it.

thats exactly what i was thinking.

there isnt a universal answer for this question, its up to each individual to decide and completely impossible for anyone else to answer that question for them. you have to figure it out on your own, but if you have to ask if there is a point in competing the answer is most likely no.

Comment

Because sparring the same people every day gets boring and stale. Competition is exactly as the word means - competition. People compete because they're competitive, they want to see if they can keep on winning. You develop rivalries in your area and constantly want to improve your record.

It's like asking why people play pick up basketball, run in marathons, and play tennis when they'll never become professionals. It's because it's fun to see if you're better than other people, even if it's not at the top level of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
          Because sparring the same people every day gets boring and stale. Competition is exactly as the word means - competition. People compete because they're competitive, they want to see if they can keep on winning. You develop rivalries in your area and constantly want to improve your record.

It's like asking why people play pick up basketball, run in marathons, and play tennis when they'll never become professionals. It's because it's fun to see if you're better than other people, even if it's not at the top level of the sport.
          I'm talking about is the risk worth it if you have no future plans.

Comment

Originally posted by theGr8test View Post
            I'm talking about is the risk worth it if you have no future plans.
            It's the same risk as football or rugby in high school sports. Apparently the rate of concussions rival those of boxing. Marathon runners are notorious for having worn down ACL's. It's up to the competitors and athletes if they decide they are willing to risk injury to pursue a competitive sport they enjoy.

Comment

What risk? If you think 3x2 minute rounds every couple months will make you ******ed, who/what would you be basing this on?

Comment

If you truly want to learn how to box, you have to compete. Because there are somethings one can only learn by being in a real fight.

Comment

Tbh op try and compete. Dedicate yourself and show an interest in competing and after an amateur bout (and they won't mismatch you at this point) see what you think. You'll never know if you don't try. I've known guys who are doing pretty well in the ams now who said they didn't want to box after their first bout but went back in the gym and got the bug so to speak. If it's not for you, no sweat. But try it first op. I don't think you'll regret it.

Comment

The only way to truly become better is to compete. If all you want is some self-defense skills then your boxing workout and sparring every once in a while should be good enough for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X