Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters you picked to be great, and you were wrong...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wmute View Post
    Post fighters you thought would be great but just came up short to your expectations.

Hopefully this did not happen only ti me, my latest big mistake was

Jorge Linares (I seeing he was getting hit too much, but I probably hoped that he had a really hard chin, just because I had not seen anyone *great* coming up in while I really wanted someone to be great)

My first one, (when I was a kid), was probably

Donald Curry
    Zab Judah. He came up way short. Victor Ortiz too but he can still redeem himself unlike Zab.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Zab Judah. He came up way short. Victor Ortiz too but he can still redeem himself unlike Zab.

judah is a good one

i thought edwin valero was going to be a great fighter as well so long as he stayed below WW. the best i've ever seen him look is in sparring matches, but the guy had some great moves and serious talent. i wasnt huge on the power, i was big on the other things he did well.

i thought jermain taylor was going to be the next big thing, but it never turned out that way.

meldrick taylor

david tua (he ran into a pretty good HW era, to his credit.)

Ike ibeabuchi (ran into himself)

celestino caballero too. at 122 and even 126 i thought he could have been the goods.

Comment

Riddick Bowe, when he won the heavyweight title from Holyfield in 1992, i've thought he's gonna beat all of them.

Lennox Lewis
        Ray Mercer
        Michael Moorer
        Tommy Morrison
        Mike Tyson

but he never fought any of them, instead Bowe would have a short career.

Comment

Juan Diaz...I had high hopes for him. He is a likeable guy. First time I rooted against him though was against the great

Comment

Michael Nunn and Meldrick Taylor had the talents to be great, unfortunately they both ran into 2 future ATG fighters in James Toney and Julio Cesar Chavez.

Comment

Herol Graham (still love Herol though)
              Meldrick Taylor
              Jermaine Taylor

Comment

I m shocked so many ppl thought so highly of Jermain Taylor. Likeable guy, excellent athlete, but it was always clear that he was well basically... somehow he was not a fighter. I did pick him to beat Hopkins first time around though. I think anyone who saw Hopkins-Eastman should have been of the same opinion, but I think I was in the minority at the time. But he did disappoint my already low expectations in the Ouma and Spinks fights... just terrible stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  ricardo mayorga and jermaine taylor...
                  Oh if only Mayorga had discipline and a trainer...

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
                    Michael Nunn and Meldrick Taylor had the talents to be great, unfortunately they both ran into 2 future ATG fighters in James Toney and Julio Cesar Chavez.
                    Word is Michael Nunn ran into coke and that was his first problem. And yeah of course finding Toney in your division is not exactly a good thing :-) but boy did he have it all (almost).

Mel looked like he was going to be the **** at the time I think to pretty much everyone, but in hindsight you can see the flaws even in his best performances. Did not catch them at the time, which is not surprising considering i was a kid, but no one around me did either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                      I think Scott Quigg is the UK's next great fighter..... Even after that scare last week. Maybe its a sign im wrong about him though.

I thought Fernando Vargas and Joan Guzman were gonna be Greats.

El Feroz was a high profile big name fighter who beat Winky and Quartey, took on Mosley twice, Oscar and Tito among others but i thought he would have had a better record vs the best and lasted longer in the game. Weight making, a bad back and Felix Trinidad ruined him

Guzman is the biggest waste of talent i have ever seen, id have had him favourite over guys like Pacman and Valero at one point, he looked special and could have been the MAN in various weight divisions along with being a PPV and P4P star. Instead the lazy bastard lets his weight go, doesnt lock down any big fights of note and fails to capitalise on his ability. Disgusting
                      Vargas was a train wreck waiting to happen, but Guzman yeah me too. I remember telling my friends about him "**** Valero, this here is the guy to look at"... and then the idiots starts failing to make weight...

Comment

Working...
                      X