Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Good Could The Duke Tommy "Machine Gunn" Morrison Have Been?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good Could The Duke Tommy "Machine Gunn" Morrison Have Been?

I have to think this is one of the most underrated fighters of all time. His career virtually over at 25 because of HIV. I really wonder if he could have come back from the Lewis defeat because he had a lot of potential and power and yes his chin was sketch. What do people think would have become of him if he didnt get HIV.

Originally posted by Die Antwoord View Post
    I have to think this is one of the most underrated fighters of all time. His career virtually over at 25 because of HIV. I really wonder if he could have come back from the Lewis defeat because he had a lot of potential and power and yes his chin was sketch. What do people think would have become of him if he didnt get HIV.
    The Duke is horribly underrated, he had awesome combinations, and every punch he threw was a knockout blow. He had very good boxing abilities, and just overall was a step above champion caliber.

Today he would be lineal champion, noone with a brain in their head would deny that, but so would ALOT of other guys from Lewis' and Tyson's era...Razor Rudduck comes to mind, so does Ray Mercer

Comment

Originally posted by Die Antwoord View Post

Tommy was always one of my personal favorites but his chin and not so spectacular defense would always prevent him from being the best. Great fighter to watch with loads of offensive talent.

Comment

Was a great heavyweight to watch, his win over foreman is very underrated

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa
          In regards to his chin,Morrison took Foreman's punches much better than Frazier and Norton ever did.And contrary to popular beflief,Morrison did not run against Foreman.He put himself within Foreman's punching range and got caught often in that fight.

Very good fighter.Underrated when it comes to toughness and technical ability.
          Maybe that's because Frazier and Norton were fighting a prime foreman?

Comment

He is underrated but I don;t think he had the tools or the chin to take on lewis or holyfield. He was like a glass cannon, his left hook was devastating and could K.O almost anyone, but if a fly landed on his chin he dropped like a brick.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006
              Hey Jab? I know our more "intellectually challenged" posters will scream "censorship" but is it remotely possible that statements and claims that are completely ******ed can be deleted? I mean seriously: Why are we giving village idiots a soapbox?

Poet
              My thoughts exactly, if you think Prime Morrison would have much of a prayer, or if you think that Old Foreman hit anything like Young Foreman, you need to shut the hell up and GTFO because you sir, are a dumbass.

And NO, Morrison was on the move for most of that fight, well outside of Foreman's range and of course, his own range...He fought a good fight, but did not stand toe to toe with George as you say...

Comment

Morrison was an exciting offensive fighter and I enjoyed watching him. But he was so badly outclassed by Lennox Lewis, it was obvious that he had enough limitations to prevent him from being a champion, at least for very long.
                Last edited by Scott9945; 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                  Was a great heavyweight to watch, his win over foreman is very underrated
                  That was great strategy he used against Foreman.

I was around 12 years old watching that fight with my dad the first time.
                  I watched that fight later as an adult, and I realized how well Tommy executed his gameplan.

Tommy's wins over Ruddock and Willams were my favorite fights of his. Those fights were wars.

That Michael Bentt knockout lost was hard to swallow. That's what I loved about Morrison. You know somebody is going down in his fights.

Overall underrated Heavyweight, it's a shame he got HIV.

Comment

Steroids... Morrison was a steroid freak so you have to ask yourself how good would other fighters be if they cheated and used Steroids.

Comment

Working...
                    X