Style and Suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style and Suggestions

Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to first say nice to meet you all :]

I have read a couple of forum posts from searching up out-boxing in the search section. I've read of course you won't know for sure what type of boxer you are or what style best suits you naturally until you enter the ring and spar with someone. I understand that completely, but I have boxed years ago when I was about 13 and sparred with one of my best friends at the time which I dragged him into boxing with haha.

Anyways, at that time when we first sparred, I do remember not being so close and not really hitting that much, but being defensive most of the time. But I wasn't really that good defending myself at the time since it was my first time sparring and I was a bit nervous, even though I was facing my best friend at the time haha. I kept getting hit on my face and my temple kind of, but he didn't really HIT me, he just kind of pushed me off balance.

But anyways, to explain further what I prefer in my boxing style, I like to be defensive and if I think about it hard, I'm not really the type to be going in and having a slugfest. I like to take my time, avoid punches, I want to be able to tire out my opponent, I'm not really powerful and I am skinny. I am 5'7 weighing 132/133. I used to aggressive rollerblade for 3 years and currently retired haha. I am 20 years old now, my birthday passed which was the 20th of this month.

Also, I had surgery about 2-3 weeks ago for the removal of my infected appendix, so I am recovering right now, but I did do some jump roping since I feel like I lost energy or something laying in the hospital for two weeks. I was released on my birthday haha. I hope you guys can give me some suggestions and I appreciate the help thanks a lot!

Those are just your natural preferences. Your actual fighting style may or may not end up being completely different (or the same). Your style will kind of develop over time if you let it (you don't choose your style, it chooses you).

I've always been told after about 100 rounds of sparring you'll find yourself doing the same things again and again, and you'll start to have your own style.

That said, you do need to be careful about letting people tire themselves out. Not many guys are that dumb, and remember, while you're tiring him out, he's hitting you. You'll sap that dudes energy way faster by applying intelligent counterpunches or pressure. But this is all stuff you'll figure out for yourself once you get into regular sparring.

For now, recuperate and be healthy.

Comment

Thanks :] but I already knew about sparring to find your natural style, just mentally I prefer being defensive. I'm not the one to get hit a lot and yes I love the art of counter punching haha. I'm not in good condition to spar at the moment or probably train at the gym either since I had surgery about two weeks ago which really upsets me :/.

Anyways, anything anyone suggests I can do at home? I live in an apartment btw. I can shadow box but can't really throw full punches and I don't plan to yet. I do small efficient punches along with footwork and head movement. Thanks

Comment

minga, i aint readin all dat shyt

Comment

my 9 year old son is like that

Work with your coach! a lot on counter punching and angles and feet work
          practice catching and jabbing start off with the little stuff

Avoid the jab by stepping outside of it and coming back with a right hand left hook combo

side step the right hand to the outside body hook head hook right hand

its all pretty basic but takes hours of practice

good luck.

Comment

But what can I do for the moment since I had surgery and can't do much?

Comment

Working...
            X