Collapse
No announcement yet.

20Billion: Barrera - Mexico's Greatest?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20Billion: Barrera - Mexico's Greatest?

First off before i start im not saying he is, but i rate Marco very highly along with his counterparts Morales and Marquez and feel they all have a legit claim to being the best. Ive already done a Mexico's finest thread and dont wanna go over that again so im just selecting Barrera and pitting his greatness against that of the Great Julio Cesar Chavez who is generally regarded as Mexico's Premier Fighter...

Early in Barrera's career he was ur stereotypical Mexican in the mould of Chavez, a Relentless body banging Left Hooker who beat opponents down just as Chavez had once done. But unlike Chavez who fought in the same manner and style throughout his career Barrera adapted and became somewhat of a Master Boxer with a stellar Jab, a versitile attack and some good movement. Chavez had a head like a rock but his defence was subtle and a touch under rated by most where as Marco expertly rolls with punches and pulls his head away just enough to avoid or take the steam out of his opponents shots. Chavez has one helluva record facing Many great fighters along with the "cab drivers" and such but Barrera himself has faced one of the best line up of fighters of the past 20 years. Mexicans will always love JC more, he fought in Mexico far more and had a more man of the people feel to him, he also had no Mexican counterpart to share the fans with like MAB has in Morales and Marquez, Chavez was Mexico's Warrior and his big rivals tended to be Puerto Ricans or Americans. Popularity dosnt make a fighter greater tho.

Does Barrera with his extra boxing ability have a claim to being Mexico's best Over JC Superstar?

By all means, Barrera is a great fighter. An ATG.

I would definitely have him minimum Top 10 Mexican fighter of all time.

But, I simply cannot see an argument for him being the greatest Mexican fighter of all time. Just can't see an argument.

I don't even rank him higher than Morales personally. Another fighter who I can't see an argument for being the greatest Mexican fighter of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      By all means, Barrera is a great fighter. An ATG.

I would definitely have him minimum Top 10 Mexican fighter of all time.

But, I simply cannot see an argument for him being the greatest Mexican fighter of all time. Just can't see an argument.

I don't even rank him higher than Morales personally. Another fighter who I can't see an argument for being the greatest Mexican fighter of all time.
      Really what i should have said dan is, can he be rated above Chavez? I like Morales' work better too and there are other greats like i rated in my Mexcio's Finest thread but i just felt like going with Barrera vs JC

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Really what i should have said dan is, can he be rated above Chavez? I like Morales' work better too and there are other greats like i rated in my Mexcio's Finest thread but i just felt like going with Barrera vs JC
        Well, I consider Chavez to be minimum Top 3 of all time Mexican fighter and I don't think Barrera is in an argument for top 3 status so I would have to say No.

Comment

Barrera is #2 after Chavez. The resume speaks for itself

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Barrera is #2 after Chavez. The resume speaks for itself
            Weird...

Ruben Olivares anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Weird...

Ruben Olivares anyone
              Way too many losses not even considered. Its a clear top 1 with Chavez at the top and then people will argue Sanchez Lopez Barrera and Morales as the next 4.

Comment

in no order i think the top 5 are

sanchez
                chavez
                olivares
                barrera
                morales

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  Way too many losses not even considered. Its a clear top 1 with Chavez at the top and then people will argue Sanchez Lopez Barrera and Morales as the next 4.
                  Olivares' losses were later in his career in weight classes he was to small for...

i think he is up there with the best of them

he started his career like 60-0 with 50some ko's and won multiiple world tiltes.

Comment

Julio Cesar Chavez would never lose, especially by KO, to a fighter like Junior Jones. Jones was very good and could bang, but put a version of him up at 135-140 and that fighter gets smoked.

Comment

Working...
                    X