Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Time to Admit That The Lineal Champ System Does Not Work in Today's Era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blame the casual fans I guess. If they were not supporting the weak matchups, the bigger payday would for champions to fight the number 1 contender. Example, if we all refuse to watch Mayweather's next fight unless it's against Pacquiao or vice versa, there is a higher chance they would make that fight happen. But just like politics, it is hard to get the masses to see what is in their best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      Especially when the recognized champion doesn't fight the #1 contender. Adonis Stevenson hasn't beaten anyone of relevance since beating Chad Dawson and will babysit the lineal champ label while ducking Kovalev. He literally ran to another network to avoid the fight.

Respect to Cotto for stepping up and beating Martinez but Martinez vs GGG was long overdue. GGG is clearly the best MW in the world right now.

When the best fighter in the division is not the recognized champion that is a sign that the system does not work.
      Slightly off topic but Stevenson fought Andre Fonfara - an apt and solid contender, hardly "not anyone of relevance."

I don't fault Stevenson for fighting what he perceived as a 'soft' opponent as his first defense. When you win the title you want to milk it a little and make some $$$ in title defenses

Comment

So those of you that want Cotto to face GGG, how about not watching the Canelo matchup? But that's a big ask because the Cotto-Canelo fight is very tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          Slightly off topic but Stevenson fought Andre Fonfara - an apt and solid contender, hardly "not anyone of relevance."

I don't fault Stevenson for fighting what he perceived as a 'soft' opponent as his first defense. When you win the title you want to milk it a little and make some $$$ in title defenses
          While I agree with you re. Fonfara, wasn't Cloud his first defense? then mandatory against Bellew, then Fonfara and now Sukhotsky.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
            Blame the casual fans I guess. If they were not supporting the weak matchups, the bigger payday would for champions to fight the number 1 contender. Example, if we all refuse to watch Mayweather's next fight unless it's against Pacquiao or vice versa, there is a higher chance they would make that fight happen. But just like politics, it is hard to get the masses to see what is in their best interest.
            It's no just casual fault bcuz some hardcore support the BS fights too.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
              Especially when the recognized champion doesn't fight the #1 contender. Adonis Stevenson hasn't beaten anyone of relevance since beating Chad Dawson and will babysit the lineal champ label while ducking Kovalev. He literally ran to another network to avoid the fight.

Respect to Cotto for stepping up and beating Martinez but Martinez vs GGG was long overdue. GGG is clearly the best MW in the world right now.

When the best fighter in the division is not the recognized champion that is a sign that the system does not work.
              completely inaccurate post, stevenson beat the WBCs number one contender and battered him in fact, he also beat a former titlist who had just lost that title to hopkins and he beat a legit, top 10 LHW in Fonfara.

his resume as it stands is deeper than Kovalev, who only really has Cleverly and bhop.

I'm not dissing either guy, they are bot one and two, however you like to place them. I always thought the winner of Bhop/Kov fight would show me who was number one but Kov was unable to stop Bhop[ and he really should have been able to. So as it stands, the lineal championship is still top but there's not much in it.

Comment

In today's message board/twitter/social media world the champ is whoever you are a fan of. If you hate such champion than you will find 101 ways to discredit the champions accomplishments. And vice versa if you like the champion.

Comment

True. I am a Floyd fan but if the next fight is not Pacquiao. I have 1% interest.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Yep, I'm long past pretending the lineal champ is always the real champion of the division. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't.

In the case of light heavyweight, it's not.
                    It never was really. It's better when it is, but this sort of duck has gone on many times. That's why Adonis should be SHAMED by every fan and media until the fight happens

Comment

Yeah the Light Heavyweight Division as is stands right now is why having all these Belts is HORRIBLE for the Sport

Comment

Working...
                      X