No announcement yet.

High Altitude Masks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Altitude Masks?

Do they work? I'm wondering if I should buy some for my boxing training and runs. Are they worth it and how have your experiences with them been? Thanks guys.

I'm curious about this too. I mean I see guys like Anderson Silva using them and plenty of other top dudes in multiple sports but I'd want to know if it'd be worth it for me to get it someday. Part of me wants to make a debut as darth vader man..

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
      Do they work? I'm wondering if I should buy some for my boxing training and runs. Are they worth it and how have your experiences with them been? Thanks guys.

It doesn't work and it nothing scientific about it.
      You can read this article and they break it all down at the end of it.
      http://coachmattlindland.com/truth-absolute-defense/

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
        I see some big beefy guy wearing it at my gym.. but all he does is lift weights... They look cool tho..

Comment

I recently read an article on the exact same thing, though I can't find it. But essentially they're not worth it. They're supposed to mimic high altitude training. At high altitude there is less oxygen in the air, therefore when you're training your body produces more red blood cells, to deliver more oxygen throughout your body. When you're at high altitude your breaths get quicker to increase the oxygen intake and they're usually more shallow.

When you're wearing a "High Altitude Mask" or whatever other device you're using to restrict air flow (I.e. gas mask, cloth/material over mouth, etc.) the air remains the same. So what happens is since you physically can't breath faster and there's the same amount of oxygen in the air your body just slows down. Since there is the same amount of oxygen in the air your body will not produce more red blood cells. Essentially what you're doing is training your diaphragm and respiratory muscles, which may help in someway but it will be restricting your workouts and potentially putting you in danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
            It doesn't work and it nothing scientific about it.
            You can read this article and they break it all down at the end of it.
            http://coachmattlindland.com/truth-absolute-defense/
            Link says access denied.

Comment

It makes your diaphragm stronger. I see a few people rocking this at the gym while they hit the heavy bag and double end bag and I've gotten mixed reviews from them. They claim they feel they have better stamina, but that using it is like breathing through a straw. It's pretty much like what's the point of decreasing your workout length or spending money on that thing? A good sprint routine should do the same thing and is free

Comment

Waste of money and a gimmick. Tie an old rag or dirty sweatshirt around your mouth and WA-LA you're training at 30,000 feet!!

Comment

Same as training with a mouth piece. You don't get the pressure of actually working in altitude.

Comment

Just breath out of a straw for the same effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X