Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about boxing gloves. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about boxing gloves. Am I doing something wrong?

So I'll start off by saying that I am a beginner.

I bought some gloves to use on the heavy bag, these Everlast 16oz gloves pictured below.

I just picked them up at my local sporting goods store. I tried them on and they felt comfortable and they were cheap. I have good wraps and know how to wrap my hands and wrist properly.

Now, onto my question..

I know what it feels like to hit a punch "flush" - contact against the first two knuckles while keeping the wrist straight. I have no problem doing with with bare fists or with wraps.

The problem comes when I hit the heavy bag with these new gloves. I feel like there is so much padding on top of my FINGERS - as opposed to my knuckles, that it makes me hit the bag awkward. I find it very difficult to hit the bag correctly. For example when I throw a punch how I normally would without gloves, it sort of 'rocks' my hand inward or downward, almost like a lever. In order to fight this I almost have to throw punches with my hand co cked slightly back (not with a straight locked wrist) which I know is not good.

So I'm wondering if this is a normal thing? Is it my technique? Do I just have crappy gloves? Should I get some lighter, smaller gloves and just train with those? I'm really just focused on getting in shape and not really thinking about sparring or anything (yet).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My advice is never buy anything made by Everlast.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

That should work out as you break them in.

Comment

Everlast low end gear isn't good

With the same money you can buy very good quality stuff in online stores

16oz gloves are better for sparring rather than heavy bag

Anyway when they break in a bit they will fit better on your hands

Comment

Originally posted by saintpat View Post
          That should work out as you break them in.
          There is no "breaking in" period with Everlast, there is only a "breaking" period.

Comment

You get what you pay for. Those cheap Everlast come off a factory line with no quality control whatsoever. The quality of the padding is cheap, the stitching is cheap, and the padding may not even set right in the glove.

If you see this as something mildly more serious than a boxercise workout save your money and invest in some gloves that will protect your hands better.

Comment

If you destroy your hands by using cheap gear you'll pay for it the rest of your life with painfull arthritic hands.
              Buy quality gloves, wraps and keep them as "clean" as possible.
              Bag Gloves are for the bag, you can use spar gloves once they loose their integrity or just buy a pair for heavy bag but I prefer bag gloves on the bag.
              The heavy is primearly for developing power through proper techniques.
              The use of 16oz gloves would be for conditioning purposes only.

Don't buy cheap gear, if you have to buy used quality thats in good order.

Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X