Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion of Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread will be dominated by one poster, you heard it here first.

Comment

Definitive Top 5 Heavyweight.

Lennox was able to be great at an advanced age, fighting well past the prime age of 32. He is one of the few who retired as a Champion, and he beat every single man on his resume', which includes several hall of famers and 3 ATGs. I can only rank Ali and Joe over LL in good conscience.

Here are my 1-3 rankings and their last image in a boxing ring:

Comment

Originally posted by musiol View Post
        (the shots he took would of kod almost anybody )what a load of ****

Probably. But most all time greats (and Lewis at his best) would have seen them coming. Still, in my mind, a top 10 all time great. Beat everyone he ever fought and had great size, speed and skills in my opinion. Still feels funny for me to say that because when he was fighting I was always a critic of his.

Comment

Hi Soir,

Ali fought Berbick after Holmes........and didn't look too bad in a few rounds (well, compared to the Holmes fight!!).

As for Lennox at number 3, do you think he really deserves that accolade over someone like Larry Holmes or Evander Holyfield? An old Holyfield gave Lennox lots of trouble in their second fight........the Holyfield from 1990-1992 would surely beat Lennox.

Comment

Lennox Lewis ruled (although not entirely dominated) the strongest era of the HW division ever.
            With that said , Oliver McCall will always be his daddy

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Hi Soir,

Ali fought Berbick after Holmes........and didn't look too bad in a few rounds (well, compared to the Holmes fight!!).

As for Lennox at number 3, do you think he really deserves that accolade over someone like Larry Holmes or Evander Holyfield? An old Holyfield gave Lennox lots of trouble in their second fight........the Holyfield from 1990-1992 would surely beat Lennox.
              Maybe Lennox was gunshy against Evander for knowing he was chinny , but the only thing that prevents me of saying the opposite of what you said , is their fights and the time they happened.

Comment

Hi Soir,

do you honestly believe that Holyfield should be rated ahead of Lewis? I am not trying to be disrespectful, I am just curious as to why you think that...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
                  do you honestly believe that Holyfield should be rated ahead of Lewis? I am not trying to be disrespectful, I am just curious as to why you think that...
                  4x champ fought bowe 3x (Peak bowe 1x)fought tyson 2x(not peak tyson but light years ahead of the one lewis fought and holyfield wasnt near peak anyway)fought lewis 2x (as an old man and won the 2nd av seen loads he wins comfortable in my eyes)who did lewis fight peak??2x holyfield no, 1x tyson lol no worst condition ever,holyfield never kod by a bum aka mcall n rahman when in peak,holyfield was not heavyweight according to all these experts he was older than lewis and miles lighter and still achieved more in his boxing carear also a beleive holyfield had a better resume than lewis foreman holmes old or not are on it and are names ,plus fighting tyson 2x and bowe 3x makes it look a hell of a lot better he fought the BEST miles more than lewis.
                  Last edited by musiol; 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Hi Tim,

yes and without doubt.........I do rate Holyfield higher than Lewis. They are rated in my top ten though which is terrific for both.

I think that prime Holyfield would beat prime Lewis, its just that their peaks were 5-7 years apart so we only got to see old Holyfield in with near as dammit prime Lewis and even then, the second fight was closely fought. I'd favour prime Evander to win a decision, something like 116-112.

The 1999 Holyfield who faced Lewis was nowhere near as fast and didn't have anything like the amazing workrate of the Holyfield of 1990-92. Check out Evander's fights with Buster Douglas, Foreman, Holmes and the first two with Bowe.........that guy was clearly a force of nature with handspeed only a whisker slower than Ali, his combination work was terrific.

Also, I'd argue that Evander has a better resume at heavyweight because he fought better fighters, or fighters that were closer to their prime.

The three fights with Bowe, the best version of 90s Foreman, a much better version of Mike Tyson (than Lewis fought) and prime Mercer (who he beat clearer than Lewis) are more impressive than Lewis's signature fights. These guys were clearly better than a washed up Razor Ruddock or a McCall, Golota, Grant, Briggs, overweight Tua or Rahman.

Vitali is a good name on Lewis's record...........but without the cut I fear Lewis was on his way to losing that one!

I'm not Lewis bashing, hell to make my top ten is great, but I'd definitely give Evander the higher slot.
                    Last edited by Sugarj; 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi Soir,

There has never been a fighter like Lennox who was as good at 23 as he was at 37.

Tyson and Klitschko fans indirectly compliment Lennox all the time when they say he was in his prime in 2002 and 2003 when he actually wasn't. Lennox is so good that despite being Ko'd twice people think he was in his prime for his entire career.

When other fighters get Ko'd in the manner that Lennox did at the age of 35 they are considered Shot. People hold Lennox to a higher standard, they expected him to bounce back from Rahman and he did so in spectacular fashion.

Comment

Working...
                      X