Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe Sergio won't be too big for Cotto...he weighs around 165-167 on fight night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
    It doesn't matter what weight Martinez comes in at, with all those injuries, knee problems, taking his last fight into consideration, the higher he rehydrates the worse it'll be for him. He acknowledged Cotto as being the most skilled he's faced, the arrogant shit talker did that, I'm gonna guess he was sparring and fully discontent with his mobility he soon after made those accurate comments.

Anyway, Martinez has always been nothing more than a very good fighter, wouldn't classify him as great. Same goes for Miguel Cotto as well, if Cotto were great then I'd pick him against Martinez currently, simply with the thought process that he'd fight a disciplined fight. Martinez isn't suppose to beat Cotto, not with the way he looked in his last fight, not with all those injuries, suppose may sound like a stretch but I'm dead serious. Cotto is suppose to circle Martinez, tag him and get out. Martinez tires too, always has so throw that out the window.

Cotto should win, will he? I don't know....
    WHat???? LOL Martinez is arguably faster than cotto and has that type of style instead of cotto. Plus the reach, height etc.

Comment

Science..........

You have to understand the scientific aspect of boxing. Sergio is at least a full weight class and a half bigger than Cotto. He's definitely bigger and stronger. No excuses though. I am rooting for Cotto. Cotto is a very smart fighter. He's smarter than Sergio. He's more skilled than Sergio. If he can avoid the big shots, like he has since Sterward( RIP) starting training him, he can win this fight. Cotto is a good defender himself. Forget about what happened in the Trout fight. Cotto was winning that fight with his skill as well, then his level dropped in the 2nd half. That was Cotto the boxer. In this fight, he will have no fear of Sergio, and try to take him out, puncher style. Can he do it? Of course he can.

Comment

Cotto's up against a guy who's shown the ability to knock out full fledged middleweights and take the punches of full fledged middleweights. Cotto won't have the punch resistance of those guys or the power of those guys. Cotto was undersized at 154 and now he is fighting the best 160 lb fighter on the planet. How can people seriously think Cotto has a chance?

Comment

Like it has already been said, Martinez will be an athletic 167-170, he will be ripped and muscular, fast and powerful. Cotto will be a soft 165-167, slower, who knows how his power will carry, we don't know how his footwork will be. Martinez is also 5' 10", Cotto is 5' 7", so them being the same weight will naturally favor Martinez, he's the guy who will be in better shape.

Comment

Make no mistake about it. Sergio will clearly be the bigger man in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              It's more than the fight night weight. Martinez is a full fledged middleweight, and he moves and hits like an athletic full fledged middleweight.

Trout has pillow fists and had Cotto bothered. That's not a good sign.
              agreed 100%

its not just fight night weights but the fact that Cotto has to try and grow into 160 and take punches from a guy who has hurt bigger men such as pav, pwill and chavez, not to mention mack and barker. people tend to forget, martinez isnt just purely speed and timing, he has serious power.

Comment

Originally posted by B.U.R.N.E.R View Post
                Doesnt matter. Martinez DOES NOT fight big. He fights like a little guy. He routinely gives up whatever little height and reach he has every fight. Hes not a good inside fighter either so his strength there will be useless. Cotto is a very live dog and I pick Cotto to beat Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                  It doesn't matter what weight Martinez comes in at, with all those injuries, knee problems, taking his last fight into consideration, the higher he rehydrates the worse it'll be for him. He acknowledged Cotto as being the most skilled he's faced, the arrogant shit talker did that, I'm gonna guess he was sparring and fully discontent with his mobility he soon after made those accurate comments.

Anyway, Martinez has always been nothing more than a very good fighter, wouldn't classify him as great. Same goes for Miguel Cotto as well, if Cotto were great then I'd pick him against Martinez currently, simply with the thought process that he'd fight a disciplined fight. Martinez isn't suppose to beat Cotto, not with the way he looked in his last fight, not with all those injuries, suppose may sound like a stretch but I'm dead serious. Cotto is suppose to circle Martinez, tag him and get out. Martinez tires too, always has so throw that out the window.

Cotto should win, will he? I don't know....
                  If we were talking p4p, I'd agree with you. We're not. We're talking an older, worn Cotto, who was already chubby at 154, moving to middleweight. Sergio would have to be completely shot to lose this fight. Maybe he is, but that's the only way I can imagine. A relatively healthy Martinez is still too fast and too good for Cotto at middleweight to beat.

Comment

He may not weigh that much more than Cotto going into the ring but he won't carry any extra body fat and Cotto will carry extra fat. When it comes to lean bodyweight Martinez is the naturally bigger man. I think Martinez will win by KO.

Comment

Working...
                    X