Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting Far Shorter Opponents With Tyson's Style - Doable or Not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Far Shorter Opponents With Tyson's Style - Doable or Not?

Just to get this out of the way, I'm a long-time lurker of these boards who just signed up, not a noob looking for a quick answer and who will leave after I get it. I've been boxing for about a year and a half now (right handed southpaw stance though) and have my stance, coordination, etc. down so there's no need to worry about that. But I've never fought anyone, and I'm still a noob when it comes to the technical side of boxing.

I am 6'0"-6'1" with a 72" reach. I want very badly to study and train in Cus D'Amato/Mike Tyson's peek-a-boo boxing style as a heavyweight (in the ring), and I want to be just as ferocious and as "go after 'em" as a prime Tyson was, agaisnt every opponent I fight (or at least have that style as plan A). Everyone I talk to either says because of my height, I couldn't utilize that style effectively, or that I might just barely get by with that style in a heavyweight division against slightly taller opponents.

However, my main question is (and I feel so stupid asking it), could I use Tyson's style and ferocity against a well-trained 5'6" or 5'7" opponent (in something like a street fight or self defense situation, not necessarily in the ring) or would I just be asking for a beating? Essentially, I want to fight everyone I ever fight in and out of the ring using that ferocity, pressure, relentlessness, and style that Tyson (in his prime) used. Regardless of if they're 4'2" or 7'6", I just want to be the one that walks forward and takes it to them on the inside and slugs it out, using head movement and looking for a fast KO. I don't really want to be the tall guy who has to retreat, keep the distance, and jab 9,000 times to win. The problem is that my height (let's just call it 6'1") would tend to prevent me from fighting that way with fighters who are shorter than me. Right? Or wrong? Someone school me and tell me if I would even be the least bit effective against a shorter fighter if I utilized this style. Am I even thinking realisticly?

My second question is if a person my height could at least use head movement and slipping in a fight against a shorter opponent, or would it just be pointless? I bought a slip bag thinking I could and my friend's dad (small-time ex-boxer) told me to throw it away if I was planning on fighting shorter opponents and that using head movement and slipping would be useless if I was fighting someone 6 or 7 inches shorter than me. Is he an idiot or not? I've always heard Kevin Rooney say "Make sure you always move your head", and it's never been followed by "...unless you're fighting a shorter opponent. Then it won't work." Could someone clarify, please?

These are hard questions for me to ask, because I don't exactly know how to ask it without feeling like I'm wasting your time, so I'm just giving it a shot and hoping that someone can decipher my questions and provide answers. I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but I have trouble determining the technical side of boxing.

Thanks for your time.

In boxing, it wouldn't be wise. Not that you can't, but it just wouldn't be the ideal game plan. But then again there are a lot of people in the heavyweight division that are that height or taller. So maybe you could use it.

In a streetfight, it would work. Most guys either TRY to box or grapple with you. So yeah I think it would work in a streetfight.

Comment

6'1 isn't tall for a heavyweight these days, David Haye is 6'3 and i heard people calling him a midget. Most of ur opponents will be taller then u if u fight at HW

Comment

that style was so successfull with tyson because it fit his body and skill set perfectly. you will have more success if you continue to spar and find your own style that fits your natural abilities.

Comment

Im not sure if many people have heard of jose torres but he was average height for his light heavyweight division also trained by d'mato and he had the same peek-a-boo style world champion so it cant be so bad but in my opinion dont try to be like someone else be you man if you pictured ali fighting tysons style think he would have been as good? in my opinion he would get wooped but thats just me.

Comment

Alright, well its good to hear that I'd be a short heavyweight. I just wanted to know if I used peek-a-boo, head movement and aggressiveness in a street-fight with some 5'7" guy who was good at his game, if I'd be laid out easily or not. Sort of like asking if a 5'11.5" prime Mike Tyson would win against a 5'7" Miguel Cotto, in the ring or on the street. Who do you think would win? Because obviously a prime Tyson is a hell of a lot bigger and would dominate a taller opponent easily, but he's not used to fighting someone with skill who happens to be 5'7" or shorter. See what I'm saying?

In short, I guess I just want to be an aggressive in-fighter with head movement and fury and not an out-boxer with a jab and retreat. I know it's not wise to put yourself in the mold of other boxers or styles, but out-fighting is just not at all how I want to fight (at least not what I want to have as plan A). I've tried a different boxing style per month for shadowboxing, and Tyson's style has stuck with me for the last three.

But is my friend's dad is wrong? Would head movement be effective against a shorter opponent? The reason I ask is because he seemed so serious about it. "No, throw your little slip bag away if you're fighting smaller guys. Head movement and slipping will get you KOed in a fight with a smaller guy. Just don't even try it." Is he a moron?

Comment

my advice is to join a boxing gym and start sparring cause u sound like u don't know **** about boxing.

Comment

Its not something that alot of guys do, before they even start to box pick a style. I fight a guy who uses the peekaboo style excellent, and hes shorter, the only problem with being tall and using it is because for it to work decently enough you need to go under alot of punches, how often did tyson parry? lol im 6'4 and i enjoy using my reach, but i love it even more when a guy tries to fight inside on me.

Because of my coaches i got this type of style. What I do is let them inside and get comfy if you will, then i just start man handling them, and go side to side so uppercuts are useless and i pound the body, so if you "want" to be an inside fighter do that, but you dont have to fight in a peekaboo stance, and you can still be "ferocious" without it, trust me, go in with the mentality of a ferocious inside fighter and you'll be fine, dont try and "mock" someone else.

Comment

Working...
                X