Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever see another ATG who fights at only one weight through his whole career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    Excluding heavyweights, obviously.

I'm thinking of guys like Hagler, Monzon, or Gans.
    If you don't count junior/super divisions, I think there might be some more. But the 'ATG' tag is totally subjective so there is always that variable too.

Comment

Well, the most recent I can think of is Tszyu. HOFer certainly, not so much ATG in the classic sense, but he spent his whole career at 140. Lineal, Undisputed, 10 year reign, 14 champions beaten, first to unify in 30 years or so.... Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Beating up a hundred rickshaw pullers in Malaysia doesn't make you an ATG.
        Juan Manuel Marquez, Daoud Yordan, Rocky Juarez and Chonlatarn Piriyapino were rikshaw pullers?

Back to the question at hand, the answer is no. Nowadays, it's not only champions that are moving up and down in weight, it's top rated challengers too, so if a fighter wanted to prove he was the best, he'd have to take new challenges, against worthy names, away from the division in which he may feel most comfortable.

To be honest, this idea of older day ATGs staying in one weight class isn't entirely true. There are only a handful of fighters, considered ATG, who have ever stayed in the same division. There's not many I can think of.

Comment

I think yes we will see it again...

some guys are just designed to be in one division. Example would be hatton, too big for lw, great at jr welter, horrible at welter

I think canelo also will fall into this category, too big for welter, great at Jr mid, and will be too small for MW

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            Guillermo Rigondeaux.
            He's probably the best chance, but I think that era is pretty much gone. I could see somebody who starts his career at 175, but is too small to move up to heavyweight and not enticed by opportunities at cruiserweight doing it.

Comment

Working...
            X