Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for the MMA haters (i.e. mr president etc)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the MMA haters (i.e. mr president etc)

all you guys who bash MMA saying the fighters are bums, it is sloppy striking with dry humping etc, what is it that you don't like about MMA?

Is it that you think the level of athletes in it are sub par (bums as you like to call them)? and if it had better athletes you would respect it more and actually be enclined to watch it?

Or do you just think the sport itself is crap? you don't like the concept of it.

edit: I don't agree with any of these statements, I think the top fighters are great athletes and I KNOW it is not pure "dry humping" since I have actually watched more than 5 fights in my life and know that on the whole the time spent on the feet and on the ground are probably about 50/10 and when it does go to the ground I actually know what jiu jitsu is.
    Last edited by snakey112; 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM.

Originally posted by snakey112 View Post
    all you guys who bash MMA saying the fighters are bums, it is sloppy striking with dry humping etc, what is it that you don't like about MMA?

Is it that you think the level of athletes in it are sub par (bums as you like to call them)? and if it had better athletes you would respect it more and actually be enclined to watch it?

Or do you just think the sport itself is crap? you don't like the concept of it.

edit: I don't agree with any of these statements, I think the top fighters are great athletes and I KNOW it is not pure "dry humping" since I have actually watched more than 5 fights in my life and know that on the whole the time spent on the feet and on the ground are probably about 50/10 and when it does go to the ground I actually know what jiu jitsu is.
    2 things

meathead following, fans automatically think they are the best fighters in the world because Dana White says so.

Terrible stamina due to excessive weight lifting.

mostly the meathead following. If MMA was marketed as a sport with class, that had athletes that all took it seriously and offered respect to other sports, I'd have no problem with it.

It's when people say fat slugs like Tim Sylvia will take out legends like Mike Tyson or Ali.

I realize a strict ground fighter has a significant advantage over a standup fighter, but only 30% of MMA fighters these days are actual ground fighters (they know a bit but they chose to stand).

I realize in a 1v1 scenario a great ground fighter is probably going to come out on top against most strikers. However, not all MMA fighters will. The Majority of MMA fighters are downright terrible at stand up and get overrated massively. Even a guy like A. Silva who everyone thinks has boxing skills in MMA, get's his ass kicked by nobodies at the wildcard gym.
    Last edited by them_apples; 10-08-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I just like to annoy the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        2 things

meathead following, fans automatically think they are the best fighters in the world because Dana White says so.

mostly the meathead following. If MMA was marketed as a sport with class, that had athletes that all took it seriously and offered respect to other sports, I'd have no problem with it.

It's when people say fat slugs like Tim Sylvia will take out legends like Mike Tyson or Ali.

I realize a strict ground fighter has a significant advantage over a standup fighter, but only 30% of MMA fighters these days are actual ground fighters (they know a bit but they chose to stand).

I realize in a 1v1 scenario a great ground fighter is probably going to come out on top against most strikers. However, not all MMA fighters will. The Majority of MMA fighters are downright terrible at stand up and get overrated massively. Even a guy like A. Silva who everyone thinks has boxing skills in MMA, get's his ass kicked by nobodies at the wildcard gym.
        Although MMA has a "meathead" following, they also have a huge "nerd" and "diehard" following. Have you been to sherdog.net? It's an MMA forum that puts this forum to shame traffic wise. Most of the people that post on that forum are nerds which is obviously the opposite of Meatheads.

Also, most fighters in the top orgs have good stanima. Do you know who Georges St. Pierre is? Or Josh Koscheck? Or Tyson Griffin? Or Tito Ortiz? All have excellent stanima. I could go on with hundereds of other fighters as well. Most of the ****ty stanima fighters are in the HW classes, which same goes with boxing.

Saying MMA isn't a sport is a very ignorant thing to say. Top level fighters train like it's a full time job. They train just as hard if not harder than boxers. Obviously, Mixed Martial Artists are not going to have the stand up skills a pure boxer or pure Muay Thai fighter have, because they have 3-4 other things to train instead of just one aspect of fighting.

This argument can go on forever. It's apples and oranges. I love MMA, and I like boxing. IMO, MMA is a lot more skilled than boxing. some people agree or disagree, and that's fine.

Comment

Regardless of the standup skills in mma, there are world champions and Olympic medalists in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, sambo, and judo competing in mma. How can anyone argue these people aren't skilled athletes? Multiple bjj world champion Bibiano Fernandes submitted Greco-Roman world champion Joe Warren in a recent bout. Athletes like this competing give the sport credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by j-money View Post
            Regardless of the standup skills in mma, there are world champions and Olympic medalists in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, sambo, and judo competing in mma. How can anyone argue these people aren't skilled athletes? Multiple bjj world champion Bibiano Fernandes submitted Greco-Roman world champion Joe Warren in a recent bout. Athletes like this competing give the sport credibility.
            BJJ and wrestling aren't sports, they're dry humping apparently
            Last edited by snakey112; 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              2 things

terrible stamina??? try going 5 five minute rounds wrestling/boxing ext....
              it takes a lot of stamina just to do 3 rounds

meathead following.....yes its annoying but every sport has its meatheads including boxing. ive been to several mma events and i know what your talking about but that goes along with most contact sports.

no one in this mma forum has ever said silvia could beat tyson. at least not to my knowledge. and if they did they are a complete fool. we all know tyson would win in a boxing match and would probably win in an mma fight cause silvia ant that great.

also, as far as i can see, most mma athletes take the sport seriously and have plenty of class. sure there are some that have no class but again, that happens with every sport

Comment

Let's be honest, they don't bash the sport because they think the athletes are sub par or crappy strikers. They're die hard boxing fans who are pissed coz MMA took over the no.1 combat sport spot.

The meathead fan thing? The only reason guys here ever say an MMA fighter can beat a boxer is because some douche comes in bashing the sport saying boxers are better athletes, so of course they're going to defend MMA. And the audiences at events are far from meatheads. Sure you're gonna get the usually dumbass just looking for violence but you get that at every combat sport event. The hardcore fans will watch the fights and study every move, watch a Japanese event, those guys barely say a word during fights.

And someone said terrible stamina?...I dont really need to reply coz thats ridiculous lol. Oh and If an MMA fighter stood with a top boxer he'd lose, badly! If a boxer tried to fight an MMA guy with any ground game he has no hope. It's obvious

Comment

Originally posted by !MMATHAI View Post
                  Have you been to sherdog.net? It's an MMA forum that puts this forum to shame traffic wise.

yes... because this is boxingscene.com

Comment

Both sports are great!!! But the only boxing events i will watch next is Cotto-Pacman and maybe Haye vs the giant. BUt i will try to catch every UFC ppv....hehe

Comment

Working...
                    X