Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is american boxing at its lowest point in the history of the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
    Dont forget about the two Americans that put that Canadian to sleep.
    He made one cry and destroyed the other in rematches.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
      He made one cry and destroyed the other in rematches.
      Lets call it even then.

Comment

Doesn't matter

Boxing isn't meant to be a, "American Sport". It will go thru cycles with every nation but..truth be told it only is the International look that is important! [Someday soon they'll be fighting the HVY.-wt. title in ICELAND!]
        Seven names matter in HVY-wt boxing presently [(no order given) WILDER POVETKIN PARKER JOSHUA HAYE KLITSCHKO FURY]\\five mega-stars: (no order presented) WARD KOVALEV ALVAREZ GOLOVKIN#, PAC-MAN (*retired) #boxer disappointment to insist on holding "Ibo"/ THEY SHOULD OF reeled this in when Wlad was champion!
        Boxing flaws as I see things, right now, are with the Administration. Five governing groups puts OFF the world media calling boxing a "circus"!
        I'm working to echelon boxing! We have to stop with the WBC WBA IBF WBO. Four is too many. But, now....we are "going to deal with it".
        I know what to do exactly and >my blood< is not for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by glenn mcrory View Post
          Well, depends what you mean by "American"?
          If people are willing to suck in their pride and accept the mexican-americans, then I would say that they are doing pretty good.
          Plenty of great-looking prospects like Frankie Gomez along with legitimate true talent like Mikey Garcia.
          But americans generally don't back them, which I would think they would do considering they seem so desperate.
          It's because the Mexican Americans themselves seem more loyal to Mexico than they are to USA, and they market themselves and relate themselves more with Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
            Crawford might end up being "decent"

That one Charlotte twin is "OK"

The other Charlotte sucks

Thurman is from Trinidad and Tobago or something and sucks

Wilder...... Just lol.
            Demetrius Andrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
              They have ward and Spence and that's literally it.

Ward is going to get banjod into retirement by kovalev, after that, HBO will start dickriding Spence to the max and try push him as the next may weather but nobody is buying that.

Their amateur system is a joke so nobody is coming through anymore, 99% of their prospects end up being busts.

They haven't had a heavyweight champ in almost 20 years and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon

I honestly don't think american boxing has ever sucked so bad.
              I agree that boxing is no longer a mainstream sport anymore; Especially in the U.S. However that goes for the entire world. Casual fans aren't interested in the sweet science as many used to be.

In recent years, HBO has been pushing the Eastern European bloc of fighters in the Klitschkos, Lomachenkos, Golovkins and the Kovalevs and these fighters haven't made so much of a dent on the American Psyche.

Most casual fans have never heard of these guys and don't even know who they are. HBO has made futile attempts into making these fighters into household, box office, crossover stars among the casual fans. For example: With only 97,000 pay per view buys.

Also, when the Klitschko boys were world heavyweight champions, no one hardly ever noticed them. They were mostly popular among hardcore boxing fans in the states, due to their excessive amount of U.S. television exposure here. Outside of America they are unknown without huge followings and fanbases.

Comment

Ban clinching.

Have universal refs that enforce rules like the NFL .

Have universal judging and open scoring per round so there is a scoreboard.

Make fights in rings of 16x16 to 22x22 and no bigger.

Comment

I've never really thought about it

Put nationalism or whatever aside, there aren't many top american fighters. The only one who stands out is Andre Ward, who may well be the best fighter in the game today if he goes on to beat Kovalev. That would be a huge plus.

The key american division, has lost a ton of quality and lustre since Floyd and Manny retired. It has names in Thurman, Porter and Garcia, but these aren't top quality names by merit (not yet). Wilder at HW barely reaches top 5 contender status, in a very top heavy division with only two relevant fighters (Fury and Wlad). Jermall Charlo has some talent, but scraped past Trout. His twin is hasn't made himself relevant yet. Spence is the new hope for many on here, but again not proven much yet, though the destruction of Algieri opened some eyes.

Essentially, there's Ward, Crawford and possibly Spence. The rest don't look to be elite. I'm just waiting for there to be a quality American HW champion again, to bring some excitement and US relevance back to boxings premier division. Wilder obviously isn't that man, but i'm sure it'll happen one day

Comment

A good heavyweight division can maybe get casual american fans to care again

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

We good son unlike you pathetic euros we got a bunch of things that keep us entertained ; Im loving Baseball and the end of the NBA season -- how the weather over there? you bunch of Ironborn losers ' What is dead may never die!!!'
                      Your American high standards of education/geography "cough" fail to grasp how big Europe is lol. A lot of Europe is seriously hot dude.

Comment

Working...
                      X