Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racial Genetics in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is an intriguing subject when racist beliefs are left out of the equation.

But with boxing, it's not only physical but mental, as well. (Honestly, I don't know much about genetics... were Einstein's parents geniunes as well? Do you inherit intelligence? I feel dumb just asking..)

Ultimately, I think the problem with categorizing "racial qualities" is that there's exceptions to the rule.

I tend to agree with the previous poster who said environment plays a major role. The body reacting to its surroundings. The human body is amazing.

Comment

well at least in terms of LOOKS one can say that black fighters are naturally and far more easily ripped compared to any other race, whereas white fighters are often stronger physically (not necessarily punching power, just talking about brute shoving strength). You can see that spanish fighters are rarely ever cut because spanish people just don't seem to have the type of genetics like blacks to get cut easily so that's why a lot of them even the greatest champions all look like they don't train, just look at people like Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar DLH, Juan Diaz etc etc and compare them to some of the black counterparts who are cut all around and have a lot of muscles bulging. This also has some to do with the fact that weightlifting is very much part of black 'urban culture' and black people are far more likely to weight lift even when boxing whereas in mexico and countries like that, it's simply tradition based values that spanish fighters do not lift that many weights at all when training but base their training regimens more on sparring and road work and things like that.

Comment

IMHO this is unsupportable.

Let's say I have a propensity to cut because I am black or white or whatever. That would mean that everyone or most everyone of that race should disply the same propensity. However if I am black or white or whatever, but I don't get hit because I have a propensity to speed or coordination, then the cutting factor won't come into play. But if the opponent black or white or whatever, has a greater genetic propensity to speed negating the propensity to not get hit, enanbling the proensity to cut..I think one can see where this is going. Way too, too many variables to make any broad racial or genetic conclusions that would make any rational sense; beyond an individual to individual skill sets.
        Last edited by cptroyce; 03-28-2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Is there any benifit or hinderince from being Black, White, Samoan, Mexican, Asian ect?

ie - White guys cut bad, Samoans have bigger bone structures and take a punch better?

Just curious what the general feel is here

NO RACISIM
          haha good luck with this. This cud get messy! Seems sensible so far, a lot of tip toeing around. It'll only take 1 post to kick it all of.

Comment

oh, and i know sweet fa about genetics so, i'll hazard a guess at yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
              well at least in terms of LOOKS one can say that black fighters are naturally and far more easily ripped compared to any other race, whereas white fighters are often stronger physically (not necessarily punching power, just talking about brute shoving strength). You can see that spanish fighters are rarely ever cut because spanish people just don't seem to have the type of genetics like blacks to get cut easily so that's why a lot of them even the greatest champions all look like they don't train, just look at people like Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar DLH, Juan Diaz etc etc and compare them to some of the black counterparts who are cut all around and have a lot of muscles bulging. This also has some to do with the fact that weightlifting is very much part of black 'urban culture' and black people are far more likely to weight lift even when boxing whereas in mexico and countries like that, it's simply tradition based values that spanish fighters do not lift that many weights at all when training but base their training regimens more on sparring and road work and things like that.
              Perfectly stated. Clear, precise, unbiased observational statement. Well said m8!

Comment

black fighters are better runners but cant swim in deep water.

Comment

I heard blacks have thicker skin so they dont cut as easily....

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post

If you really want to piss off a REAL Spanish person just equate them with Mexicans. A Mexican is a mixture of North American "Indian" and Spaniard, or just an out and out "Indian".
                    Last edited by cultofodin; 03-28-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Boxing ability has far more to do with individuals than with race. Some white guys have great chins, some have soft chins. Some blacks have little power, some are big punchers.

Who wins has more to do with preparation, training and having a good game plan. Staying fit is most important of all.

Muhammed Ali worked exceptionally hard at being a great boxer, he excercised virtually every day of his career. In contrast, Sam Peter has become complacent, and rarely works out now.

America has fewer champions for of several reasons, but the biggest by far is the softer lifestyle in the US. When people are poor, they will learn to endure more to bring themselves up from it. Black people in the US no longer suffer from discrimination and poverty like they once did, but poverty is still widespread elsewhere, such as the Phillipines, Mexico, and the former Soviet republics.

Comment

Working...
                      X