Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gustafsson out of UFC fuel 9's main event?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gustafsson out of UFC fuel 9's main event?

Despite the fact that prior to the show UFC on Fuel TV 9 have only six days remain unclear situation with the main event of the evening. Recall that the main event fightAlexander Gustafssongot a deep cut in training, and the Swedish Federation of MMA may not allow him to fight. As it turned out, the UFC already look for an emergency replacement of a Swedish soldier, in case if it did not allow for the battle. Former PRIDE champion Wanderlei Silva wrote on his Twitter that UFC representatives contacted him and offered to fight against Gegard Mousasi. According to Silva, he is healthy, he has no injuries, he often trained and ready for this fight. UFC president Dana White to a question about possible fight Silva - Musashi said that this is an April Fool's joke, and Gustafsson will take part in the show. Meanwhile, Gegard Mousasi tweeted that he had no information about who will be his opponent, but is ready to fight with both Silva and with Gustafsson.

Reading Twitter it would seem Gustafsson is almost certainly out and Wandy is stepping in as a late replacement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...8060--mma.html

Comment

Reports made the rounds on Sunday that this weekend's bout between Gegard Mousasi and Alexander Gustafsson was off. News outlets from Sweden said Gustaffson suffered a cut on his face that would take weeks to heal, and doctors wouldn't clear him. But the UFC disagrees.

UFC president Dana White told MMA Fighting that the bout is still on. Mousasi-Gustafsson is set for the main event for Saturday's card in Stockholm.

"The [Swedish Mixed Martial Arts Federation] has not said he can't fight, and he wants to fight," White texted to reporter Ariel Helwani.

Gustafsson is from Sweden and is popular in his home country. Besides wanting to fight in front of his home crowd, Gustafsson has another incentive to want the fight with Mousasi to happen. He's riding a six-fight win streak, with his last win coming over former UFC light heavyweight champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. A win over Mousasi could put Gustafsson on the top of the pile of 205 lbers looking for a shot at the title. He even has plans to push for a title shot after the fight.

"My biggest concern right now is Mousasi," Gustafsson said in early March. "That's my biggest focus. It's the only thing I think of right now. I don't really think about [being No. 1] that much. I'm going to grab the mic from whoever has it after the fight and I'm going to challenge the champ after this fight, so let's see what happens."

But a facial laceration could thwart his plans. The fight is on, but it should be an interesting week as we watch if the fight still happens on Saturday

Comment

Read the comments below

Joshj • 16 hours ago Report Abuse
        Based on the information I've read in the last 2 days, when the story came out, is that Dana is not a doctor certified by the Swedish Medical Association, who have the authority in this situation. He needs to be cleared the day of the fight. So, no, they have not said "he can not fight" but they havent said he can fight, either.

Dana knows he's screwed with another shlt card that just lost a Main eventer... the only person the [Swedish] fans wanted to see.

The Unsilent Majority • 16 hours ago Report Abuse
        Everything I've read says 3 doctors have said there's no way he can fight next weekend. I trust them over Dana's wishful thinking.

Comment

Hope it does go ahead though its unlikely he will be cleared. I remember Dana saying this before and they failed the medical.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            Hope it does go ahead though its unlikely he will be cleared. I remember Dana saying this before and they failed the medical.
            I usually don't read the comments because most ppl are dumbasses on there, but those make sense. unlikely he will get cleared.

Comment

I would love to see Wandy knock Mousasi out but Gustassfon would be a G if he came out with a terrible cut and still whooped his ass

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

well that sucks.

hopefully he gets cleared.

Comment

@danawhite Mousasi will face Iliir Latifa this Saturday live on @FUELTV Latifa is from Sweden and training partner of Gustafsson.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar_angels091 View Post
                    @danawhite Mousasi will face Iliir Latifa this Saturday live on @FUELTV Latifa is from Sweden and training partner of Gustafsson.

Just noticed this, pretty gutted. Mousasi vs Gustafsson was the only fight I personally had interest in

Comment

Working...
                    X