No announcement yet.

new HOF ballot - part 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilberto Roman for me.

On the ballot Chris Eubank and Lupe Pintor.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Indeed. Point tacken. True consensus, as an objective process that ideally would eliminate some of these issues, by having enough pundits weigh in at all times, has the same inherent problems that democratic process itself has. Namely, how do we absolutely get everybody who should, to weigh in equally on every fighter? We all know that in our democratic institutions we do this by proxy and that dirty sophists like lobbyists take advantage of this, as well as political patronage in general.
      I would say that’s an apt comparison.

How many pundits do you reckon would be enough? Personally I prefer a small pool with "highest quality only" forming a type of board with complete control over the inductions.

It could potentially be a superb recipe for disaster with the wrong people in charge though.

In the case of fighters who were less known, who speaks for them? Is advocacy for some of the great fighters not in the public eye, strong, consistant and ever present enough to give these fighters ample consideration? I doubt it.
      So do I.

The ideal would’ve been if every single voter has the knowledge, objectivity, and ability to properly assess the career-accomplishments of fighters deemed worthy of consideration - all the way from Asian flyweights to American heavyweights and everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Sorry if I came off as defensive.
        Never mind.

I could just have read the poll.

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        As to Castillo and Herrera, that's a difficult call. You can't compare Mexican fighters from that era to the stars of today. They started their careers as teenagers and weren't pampered in the slightest. To me Castillo falls short. Just too many losses and only one win in a world title fight. Herrera was a HOF quality fighter but his numbers don't reflect that. His peak was only about three years, but his wins over Olivares, Martinez, Castillo, and Anaya were highly impressive to those who saw them. He would be a 50/50 proposition. I'd like to see him in, but don't see that ever happening.

Just for fun, let us play a bit with the history. Let’s say Castillo had gotten the decision against Rose and then managed to cram in a win over Alan Rudkin in his first title-defence. Would that had been enough to justify induction, or would that only be attained by also winning the trilogy against Olivares?

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
          Never mind.

I could just have read the poll.

Just for fun, let us play a bit with the history. Let’s say Castillo had gotten the decision against Rose and then managed to cram in a win over Alan Rudkin in his first title-defence. Would that had been enough to justify induction, or would that only be attained by also winning the trilogy against Olivares?
          If Castillo had won the title over Rose and then regained it later against Olivares, that would probably get him over. Being the first to beat Olivares definitely means a lot, but you need another major win to make you HOF worthy, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
            I would say that’s an apt comparison.

How many pundits do you reckon would be enough? Personally I prefer a small pool with "highest quality only" forming a type of board with complete control over the inductions.

It could potentially be a superb recipe for disaster with the wrong people in charge though.

So do I.

The ideal would’ve been if every single voter has the knowledge, objectivity, and ability to properly assess the career-accomplishments of fighters deemed worthy of consideration - all the way from Asian flyweights to American heavyweights and everything in between.
            if you take the office of the president of the united states and the congress in the United States you have a sort of chronically opportunist group of elites. On the other hand, when we get to the supreme court...One may hate the likes of SCala, Thomas, BUT all of those guys are brilliant. If given a choice I like the supreme court model, which transposed to the pundits in boxing, as you describe, would be better quality and fewer individuals. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the guys who campaign the hardest get the accolades. Politics as usual.

I could see a board set up to argue the merits of each induction....As you imply Green the truth is it would not necessarily take a large group to decide...the consensus could even bring fourth candidates to be reviewed. Then board could also designate some inductees.

Comment

if you take the office of the president of the united states and the congress in the United States you have a sort of chronically opportunist group of elites. On the other hand, when we get to the supreme court...One may hate the likes of SCala, Thomas, BUT all of those guys are brilliant. If given a choice I like the supreme court model, which transposed to the pundits in boxing, as you describe, would be better quality and fewer individuals. I couldn't agree more.
              The "Supreme Court" model seems indeed to be the ultimate solution.

The guys who campaign the hardest get the accolades. Politics as usual.
              Sadly, yes.

If you're pushy and swift enough with your tongue you’ll likely get what you want even if your values and ideas are utter ****.

I could see a board set up to argue the merits of each induction....As you imply Green the truth is it would not necessarily take a large group to decide...the consensus could even bring fourth candidates to be reviewed. Then board could also designate some inductees.
              That is exactly how my “ideal” board would operate, but I would like to preach caution regarding new members - at least too many of them.

It’s pointless to try and maintain the highest possible standard if all sorts of thrash will be allowed into the mix eventually.

Comment

Who voted for Lockridge... I would like to ask why, I disagree but wanna hear the opposing view.. To me he is just a notch below, similar to Vargas,quartey, etc.. Close but no cigar

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Who voted for Lockridge... I would like to ask why, I disagree but wanna hear the opposing view.. To me he is just a notch below, similar to Vargas,quartey, etc.. Close but no cigar
                  This is probably why:

Who can blame them?

Comment

Working...
                  X