No announcement yet.

PROTECT UrSELF At ALL TiMES?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    There's so much being said about this fight and it's closing moments that it's hard to keep up with all the little angles people are examining. One thing that's been brought up in this thread that I didn't see before, or think of myself, is that Mayweather probably didn't expect to actually KO Ortiz. The point doesn't change either side of the argument that people are making, but it's an interesting wrinkle.

For the record, while I consider Floyd's actions rather "un-sportsmanlike," he had every right to do what he did.
    The first punch was warranted the second punch was not. He threw the second punch alot harder then the first. He intended on knocking him out with the second punch......LEFTY

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
      The first punch was warranted the second punch was not. He threw the second punch alot harder then the first. He intended on knocking him out with the second punch......LEFTY
      Maybe, maybe not. Mayweather definitely threw the second punch harder; but we can't know if he really thought it would KO Ortiz, regardless of his intentions. Nevertheless, I don't understand how you can give the first punch your blessing, but not the second. I made a thread pointing out that however far Victor had his head up his rear-end, the left hook should've snapped him out of it.

One of the things that stands out in my mind the most about this bizarre event was how utterly clueless Victor was. First he blatantly head-butts Floyd; then he kisses him apologetically; then he embraces Mayweather; then he embraces him again, after the point deduction; then Ortiz fails to put his hands up; then he looks to the ref for God-knows-what after the left hook slams into the side of his head. Where does the silliness/stupidity end? After a ten-count, apparently....

Comment

Ortiz didn't deserve this fight yet. He just became Welterweight Champion and hasn't fought any of the other welterweight Elite. He would lose to Cotto, Margarito, Mosley 2-3 years ago, **** probably even lose to Clottey. He just had one good performance since he got his ass handed to him by maidana. And that was again'st Berto where he was a man on a mission. Other then that all his fight looked mediocre to me and Lamont Peterson outboxed the **** out of Ortiz in a 10 round fight after getting dropped twice in the beginning and getting a draw. If it was 12 rounds peterson would have won because Ortiz was gassed as hell. Ortiz needed another couple big fights before fighting Mayweather and Pacquiao. Maybe a Berto rematch or **** fight Mosley for the experience . Mayweather picked a young fighter who wasn't ready for the big scene yet and took it to him because VICTOR ORTIZ HAS NO BALLS. If somebody hit me on a break i would of at least put my hands up before Floyd landed the second punch. And i wouldn't be a softy at the end and shake Mayweathers dick the whole time. ORTIZ ==== SOFTY and Mayweather will probably rematch the Lil Woosy

Comment

I saw the fight and I was rooting for Ortiz to give us a good show. I am still in amazement of the outcome. As a fan I was upset with losing out on another 3-5 rounds of exciting action. I thought the first 4 rounds were better then any Floyd fight I had seen in years. Right after Ortiz jumped up and head butted Floyd against the ropes I was like oh no! I saw the Berto fight and noticed how Ortiz was using his head in that fight as well.

So to make a statement as a fan I was upset as a man I understood. Ortiz could have done some serious damage with that head butt to Floyd and cause a stoppage of the fight himself. So Floyd took an opportunity and gave Ortiz a 2 piece that ended his night. As for the rest of the crap Cortez is done they should never see his fair but firm face again

My statement as a fan is Floyd being the elite technician he is should have gave him that first left hook and then told him to kiss his ass not his cheek and then continued in the next round and opened up. I would have loved to see that. It is what it is and as a fan I am upset......LEFTY

Comment

Originally posted by Cash Cow View Post

ortiz made a mistake and paid for it

Comment

What our fine friend here is trying to say if you touched gloves and no sooner then you drew your hands back you got hit hard you would br upset about it too. Whether it was the start of a fight or the middle on the last round it is an unwritten rule. To me that would be the case had there not have been the foul on his part first. Also if the fould was not blatant like it was obvious he tried to butt him no accident there. I still think Floyd was wrong but Victor should have known better....LEFTY
              you fail to mention ortiz's 7 headbutts prior to the one that split mayweathers lip open

Comment

Originally posted by dde91 View Post
                If somebody hit me on a break i would of at least put my hands up before Floyd landed the second punch. And i wouldn't be a softy at the end and shake Mayweathers dick the whole time. ORTIZ ==== SOFTY and Mayweather will probably rematch the Lil Woosy
                This is what I've been saying the whole time. If nothing else, Ortiz should've woken the hell up after the hook to the head. And dripping apologies while the fight was still on was just stomach-turning. (I wasn't too crazy about all of Mosley's glove tapping with Pacquiao, either.) Fine...you did something blatantly wrong, you apologize and get on with the fight. After the thing is over, if you're still feeling that remorseful about it, apologize more profusely if you want. Most people are blaming Floyd for that ridiculous ending. I blame Victor.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughTactics View Post
                  ortiz made a mistake and paid for it
                  Thank you for posting those pics. If the top one with Cortez was indeed immediately after the point deduction, then it clearly shows the ref signaling to resume action. The photo where the fighters disengage after their hug shows Floyd clearly in a fighting stance, while Victor is stupidly standing at attention. The further I examine the last moments of this fight, the sillier the events become. I understand why some people (especially the Floyd haters) have a bad taste in their mouths; since Mayweather is the one who came out on top, he's the one who's catching the blame. But I stand by my words: I blame Victor.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Thank you for posting those pics. If the top one with Cortez was indeed immediately after the point deduction, then it clearly shows the ref signaling to resume action. The photo where the fighters disengage after their hug shows Floyd clearly in a fighting stance, while Victor is stupidly standing at attention. The further I examine the last moments of this fight, the sillier the events become. I understand why some people (especially the Floyd haters) have a bad taste in their mouths; since Mayweather is the one who came out on top, he's the one who's catching the blame. But I stand by my words: I blame Victor.

Murphy's Law at its best..
                    Very Vaild points CubanGuy, but honestly this is the first time I have seen this happen at a fight of this magnitude. Maybe that's why its so blatant and alot of people that aren't even boxing fans are jumping in on it. I am boxing fan first and foremost and tend to always root for the underdog, just to keep it interesting. But I have seen so many fights where stuff like this happens, not to the point of getting knocked out, but where fighters want to tap gloves,hug etc..and eventually start fighting again(boxing and the MMA). It was a legal but cheap shot in my eyes..not because I dislike floyd or like Ortiz, I dont think it validates Mayweather's ability at this point, I think he could've still taken Ortiz out fair and square over the span of several more rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by rudyyr View Post
                      Murphy's Law at its best..
                      Very Vaild points CubanGuy, but honestly this is the first time I have seen this happen at a fight of this magnitude. Maybe that's why its so blatant and alot of people that aren't even boxing fans are jumping in on it. I am boxing fan first and foremost and tend to always root for the underdog, just to keep it interesting. But I have seen so many fights where stuff like this happens, not to the point of getting knocked out, but where fighters want to tap gloves,hug etc..and eventually start fighting again(boxing and the MMA). It was a legal but cheap shot in my eyes..not because I dislike floyd or like Ortiz, I dont think it validates Mayweather's ability at this point, I think he could've still taken Ortiz out fair and square over the span of several more rounds.
                      I just started a thread with a video link to a debate on ESPN.com about the "sucker punch". Frankly, I think they made some good points. It made me look at things from different perspectives. I must say that the sportscasters made me look more closely at Cortez's role in this fiasco. Nonetheless, I maintain that Victor is primarily to blame for what happened to him and, by consequence, the paying audience.

I agree that Mayweather would've probably won the fight anyway. But, as they say, this is boxing...anything can happen. Floyd made an effort to increase his already high odds of winning and decreasing his odds of getting hurt. I can't blame him for that. I'm not sure I would've done it myself; however, that doesn't reduce Floyd's right to exercise his legal right one iota.

Comment

Working...
                      X