Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true that frank bruno and Tyson had their punching power measured? Any footage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that frank bruno and Tyson had their punching power measured? Any footage

Any footage of this?

Or the hard data recorded?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Any footage of this?

Or the hard data recorded?

I've never seen the footage, but Bruno came out at 535 PSI, Foreman second at 520PSI, Ruddock third at 495PSI and Tyson fourth at 480PSI.

Heaven knows how accurate it was. I remember the line from Rocky IV when the Russian manager of Ivan Drago says something like 'An average heavyweight punches 700PSI' and then Drago punches something like 1900PSI. Even allowing for the sensationalism of a movie, 4 x Tyson power is a ludicrous exaggeration if the power punching tournament of the 80s was scientifically accurate.

Comment

Lolz

I guess it could be true. But I watched the fight where Frank Bruno became champion, and the comentators quoted Bruno saying, I hit harder than Tyson now im bigger stronger faster and have improved work ethic. They were speaking as if he had lost the punching measuring competition to Tysons, and had subsequently improved after.

If you want to verify that watch Bruno vs that american guy when bruno becomes HW champion, (Tyson is in prison around this time) if you get teh one with the british comentators you will hear that being said.

Comment

Also Tysons stance is very square on, if those numbers are correct maybe Tyson didnt stand side on when he punched meaning he lost alot of power since the more side on you are the stronger the rear hand becomes for the straight right and the weaker the front hand becomes for the left hook.

I would have had it: 1 Foreman 2 Tyson 3 Ruddock 4 Bruno judging by the way they KO guys.

Did Holyfield ever compare Tysons to rudduck and foreman? I know he said foreman hit the hardest harder than tyson, but what did he say about tyson compared to ruddock?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I've never seen the footage, but Bruno came out at 535 PSI, Foreman second at 520PSI, Ruddock third at 495PSI and Tyson fourth at 480PSI.

Heaven knows how accurate it was. I remember the line from Rocky IV when the Russian manager of Ivan Drago says something like 'An average heavyweight punches 700PSI' and then Drago punches something like 1900PSI. Even allowing for the sensationalism of a movie, 4 x Tyson power is a ludicrous exaggeration if the power punching tournament of the 80s was scientifically accurate.
          When this is measured per a punch it becomes a measure of how much weight can be put behind a strike. The measure of how much force is actually delivered is different. Essentially a bag is set up and a boxer hits it as hard as he/she can. The bag reacts to thee weight of the blow it was hit with. It stands to reason that the bigger the person the more PSI registered and as one can see, bigger and more weight per square inch does not make a better puncher...otherwise Bruno would be the best puncher of the lot and he is not.

When I was in Vegas with my cousins I showed them this principle in the punche machine in the lobby. I showed them an accurate strike and the machine called me a panzy, then I hit the machine with pure weight and it had to be replugged in because I tagged it so hard. Obviously that second punch, while impressive from the machine's measure would have been useless in a fight!

Comment

That doesnt add up, if you hit properly you transfer all your weight and you transfer it fast!

Are you sure this is not a cool story bro?

Also dont those punch machines measure speed more than anything?

Also why would it have to be replugged? If you break the machine because you are so heavy it wont work if you replug it, if you score the top score it just lists it as a high score or as 999 it doesn't need to be re-plugged.

Are you trying to boost ego online? You tryin to be a mega tough internet badass? xD
            Last edited by AlexKid; 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM.

Comment

That doesnt add up, if you hit properly you transfer all your weight and you transfer it fast!

Also why would it have to be replugged? If you break the machine because you are so heavy it wont work if you replug it, if you score the top score it just lists it as a high score or as 999 it doesn't need to be re-plugged.

Are you trying to boost ego online? You tryin to be a mega tough internet badass? xD
              Yeah you got me....

Speed versus quickness and measuring speed in a strike is something I have thought of and this is my problem with how one measures:

How can you measure speed with out a point of comparison? Another words, If I hit something from point A to point B and we compare that to you hitting the same thing "on your mark, get set go"..... we have a measure of speed. If something is hit without this reference we are essentially measuring how hard it is displaced from a stationary position....We know how much force it is displaced with, not how fast that force is travelling though....Thats the way I see it. We could measure the speed of the punch, but no machine I have seen does this.

I just know the machine did what it did...i thought it was a great opportunity to prove a point as I obviously had taken a good shot at it. i don't remember saying I got a high score though? I do know when I hit the machine with a decent strike that it called me a wimp...some internet tough guy huh?

You know what projection is? its when because of your own motivations you ascribe others the same...naturally you assume my motivation was to hype myself because you think that way however I have to tell you thats not really my intention. I come more from the "teaching" personality, probably because I have been a teacher for most of my life.

Comment

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was thinking the same thing

Comment

What do you teach usually?

Comment

All i know is i would rather take a punch from bruno then tyson or foreman

I feel like if bruno hit me i would have a fractured face but if foreman or tyson hit me i would have no face or head upon my neck anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X