No announcement yet.

lmaoo Joe calzaghe would beat the living day lights out of "prime" James Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
    If it were a Prime Calzaghe that used straigh punching and had a powerful left hook combined with his workrate I think he would have beaten Toney at 168. I don't think he would hurt him but he'd have enough sting in his jab to keep Toney at distance and then jump inside where he works best.
    Don't forget that Toney was also a phenomenal inside fighter. To be honest if the majority of the fight takes place on the inside then I think James does win it big. Calzaghe's best chance in this fight would have been to try to use his superior workrate by staying on the outside and throwing a lot of punches at James in order to throw off his defence and outland James to a decision win. On the inside Toney's superior defensive abilities take over and his ability to create incredible angles and leverage for his short punches would see him scoring too regularly for Joe to get enough done.

Comment

sorry buddy, Toney would win. For you to pick one round out of all the rounds he has been in this game means natha'
      Toney was one of the best technitions to put on a pair of gloves. O.k. he is overweight and sloppy now but he was voted fighter of the year in his prime. Why is everybody on Calz dinga-ling. He beat Hopkins? wow! Hopkins is not near his prime. Oh ya, calz beat the guy from that boxing soap opera (forgot the name of the show.) He has to be one of the best ever now.

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
        Don't forget that Toney was also a phenomenal inside fighter. To be honest if the majority of the fight takes place on the inside then I think James does win it big. Calzaghe's best chance in this fight would have been to try to use his superior workrate by staying on the outside and throwing a lot of punches at James in order to throw off his defence and outland James to a decision win. On the inside Toney's superior defensive abilities take over and his ability to create incredible angles and leverage for his short punches would see him scoring too regularly for Joe to get enough done.
        I think on the inside it becomes a very close fight, it's Toney's shorter harder punches against Calzaghe's short, faster (hard in his prime) and more shots.

It would be an amazing fight though, I do think If Calzaghe found his range with his jab then jumping in the on the inside and didn't stay long enough for Toney to stay there and fight "in the pocket" and offset Toney's timing from the outside he could definately outwork him and outpoint him but I don't think either guy would get stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
          vs southpaw Reggie johnson

lol!!!!the only differance is reggie johnson punches and calzaghe slaps

Comment

Originally posted by larryx View Post
            Whilst Calzaghe has never been an out and out power puncher, he did have quite a bit of pop in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx View Post
              He slaps now.

Slappyzaghe is incredibly difficult to beat however. Slappyzaghe beats prime Calzaghe imo.

Comment

Are we delusional?

Toney was a p4p great in his career.. He could punch, had good speed and defense..

Toney would make that Euro champ look like an amatuer..

If the 7-11 rounds of the Joe Calzaghe vs Sakio Bika fight was on youtube, I'd be the first to post it..
                Your Wales hero looked like turd in that fight
                He was getting owned by a CONTENDER!!

Joe is a overated fighter.. Period.. An old Roy will show it.

Comment

joe never beats toney, especially at 68!

Comment

In case you didnt know, Reggie Johnson was a pretty damn good fighter with a lot of power, who has some pretty impressibe wins like old Benn and Eubank conquerer Steve Collins and is a champion at Middleweight and Light Heavyweight.

besides, heres Toney against one of the best southpaw middleweights of all time who was an excellent boxer and was very highly rated in the p4p lists at the time.

and he also beat up Jirov, who was also a southpaw who held a Cruiserweight title for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Queensdawg View Post
                      Are we delusional?

Toney was a p4p great in his career.. He could punch, had good speed and defense..

Toney would make that Euro champ look like an amatuer..

If the 7-11 rounds of the Joe Calzaghe vs Sakio Bika fight was on youtube, I'd be the first to post it..
                      Your Wales hero looked like turd in that fight
                      He was getting owned by a CONTENDER!!

Joe is a overated fighter.. Period.. An old Roy will show it.

Euro champ?

Your posts really piss me off.

Comment

Working...
                      X