No announcement yet.

tommys fightplan for marvin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tommys fightplan for marvin

I have read Marvin was confident he could walk thru Tommy's best and he started the war. Does anyone have any information on what Tommy's gameplan was?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I have read Marvin was confident he could walk thru Tommy's best and he started the war. Does anyone have any information on what Tommy's gameplan was?
    drop him like he dropped duran.
    hearns was too caught up in the fame and glory hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      If that was Marvin Hagler's game plan, then he is one very lucky fighter. Hearns broke his right hand in the opening round an opening round which had Hagler cut, above and below both eyes. Marvin would never have seen the fourth round if it was not for that unfortunate broken right hand. Richard Steele would definately have stopped it in Hearns favor due to the cuts on Marvin.... Hearns pressed for a rematch without luck, right upto and after Hagler called it a day on his career.

Comment

Hearns was there to brawl. Look closely at his eyes when they are waiting in their corners. He looks like he's just killed a man or is about to.

I just watched it again and that look is pure murder. He looks like some New York City gang member in a bad 70s movie who's about to try run up on charles bronson or some thing

Comment

Granite Chin

Tommy had the right idea. I heard his legs were shot but that right hand he threw early in round one would have floored anyone else. Hagler took the shot but you can actually see his entire body tremble when it connected. Of course after that shot Hagler knew he could walk through anything. When watching the second and third you could sense something was wrong with Hearn's balance. Too bad they never had a rematch

Comment

In round 2 it's clear that Tommy didn't want too brawl and tried to change his gameplan to outbox Hagler but his legs were gone.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              In round 2 it's clear that Tommy didn't want too brawl and tried to change his gameplan to outbox Hagler but his legs were gone.
              Yes...I seem to remember in an interview him saying so much.

Comment

I always loved the balls of yearns. He did not have a great chin but came to fight and exchange with anyone. Unfortunately it sometimes caught up with him ( Barkley) my question is this, how could a genius like steward have this fight plan against a guy like hagler? Tommy could have outboxed him or did hagler simply force the style of the fight? Either way unlike other posts this was not an underrated fight.

Comment

Steward used to claim that, unbeknownst to him, Tommy got a rubdown before the fight which relaxed his muscles way too much. And that's partly why his legs were gone so quickly.

Don't know how true that is but it's interesting to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    If that was Marvin Hagler's game plan, then he is one very lucky fighter. Hearns broke his right hand in the opening round an opening round which had Hagler cut, above and below both eyes. Marvin would never have seen the fourth round if it was not for that unfortunate broken right hand. Richard Steele would definately have stopped it in Hearns favor due to the cuts on Marvin.... Hearns pressed for a rematch without luck, right upto and after Hagler called it a day on his career.
                    That's infering a competley different Tommy Hearns. Hearns hands weren't strong enough to stay unbroken. We can't say "what if" Hearns didn't break his hands then Marvin would have been out. I could say "what if" Hagler had lasers shooting from his eyes then he would have killed any one that he got into the ring with.

Hagler survived Hearns' hardest punches which were hard enough to break Hearns's hands. I think any other fighter would have been ko'd that night.

Comment

Working...
                    X