No announcement yet.

Bodyweight Exercises

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyweight Exercises

Please post bodyweight exercises that can help me build strength and endurance (especially for my legs: thighs & butt). Thanks.

Also if my goal is to lose a 100lbs is it a bad idea not to lift weights?

Originally posted by iTalkMoney View Post
    Please post bodyweight exercises that can help me build strength and endurance (especially for my legs: thighs & butt). Thanks.

your body is a weight, if you dont want to lift any weights, your kinda screwed.

Comment

Im not an expert, but i used to be a little overweight.
      My best is advice to lose weight was always
      water, water, water it always helped me feel a little fuller and stopped me from drinking cola or beer.

I used to goto gym 3 times a week and lift weights doing very little cardio and i dropped to my goal in 5-6 months. If i done more cardio I probably could have dropped more and been alot fitter.

Main advice
      Eat healthy, around 2200 calories, take a jog or walk 3 times a week,
      Replace fluids with water, and id lift weights too.

(anyone reading this feel free to critique on it as I may be giving bad advice

Comment

You have no specific goals so here is my advice.

Three best bodyweight exercise: Push-ups, pull/chin ups and squats.

When those are too easy for you, you can search for the net for more difficult exercises like one hand push ups, pistols, etc.

Comment

here are a few

Comment

body building need a good stamina and great strength.
            You have to do some squats, Push-ups, pull & chin ups etc,
            You not need to loss weight because in body building you need strong muscles.

Comment

Hi

Properly selected bodyweight exercises can build muscle rapidly.

Comment

In my own personal experience i believe u lose weight faster doing all cardio but just kno doing so u will lose muscle mass and strength but u will lose weight a lot of ppl like to lose the weight then build muscle I have actually done both ways with and without weight training, I weighed 287 at the end of April 2010 I decided to come down I ran 2 miles at the track daily and and stayed away from processed foods and sugars and by September I was 220lbs now there will come a point where u hit a plateau then i start adding pushups and situps since then I tryied to keep under 240lbs i would do the same routine and lose 15lbs but the last time I hit 240lbs I added weight training and its been about 8 months and my body is more muscular and I'm starting to see my abs a little and I look smaller in my pictures but I weigh around 235lbs I'm asuming its because I'm adding muscle while losing fat but I want the scale to say 210- 220 but I'm not necessarily eating as strict as I was just try a couple of workouts if u like them then keep doing it but remember nutrition is about 75% of weight loss

Comment

You're on the right track leathervogues, but why wait until you plateau to add in pushups and situps?

Any exercise you do is burning calories. You burn more calories than you eat in a day, you lose weight. So the more exercise that you are able to perform, the more calories you will burn, the more weight you will lose.

Now there are a lot more technical aspects to losing weight than I'll go into to avoid confusion but the key is getting the most for your money out of your energy stores when it comes to how much exercise you can fit in.

Cardio is the most important thing you can do when losing weight. At least 20-30 minutes straight of keeping the heart rate elevated (whether it be through straight running, combination of running/ speed walking, swimming, biking, etc) is necessary for the heart to experience strength and endurance gains. As the heart becomes more efficient, you get more bang for your buck with exercise, which is what makes cardio so important.

Now, If your cardio is running, although running is a full-body exercise, the primary muscles you are tiring are going to be the legs. So after you run, you're presumably too tired to effectively continue exercising your legs right? That's where pushups, core, and pullups really help you. Yes, the muscles involved will be fatigued, but not as much as the legs. Pushups, ab work, and pullups/ chin-ups all work different muscle groups, so you can effectively fit a run, pushups, ab work, and pullups/ chin-ups into every training session. Stretching is also non-fatiguing, but keeps your heart rate elevated.

So, instead of just a 20-30 minute run, now you add 15-20 minutes of pushups, ab work, pullup/ chin-ups, and stretching to the back end of your workout, and you've gotten almost an hour of having your heart rate up and burning calories.

By exercising different muscle groups back to back, you avoid excessive fatigue, but can get more out of your workouts if you're looking to lose weight. So yes, make cardio a huge part of your base, but whether it be weighted or non-weighted exercises, add a heavy dose of other exercises and stretching into your workout routine. Whether you're using weights or not is generally irrelevant for your purposes, as long as the loads are light to moderate and the reps are kept high.

Comment

The best workout you can do in your home for fat burning is what's called 'Circuit Training'.

The benefits of circuit training are...

. An effective means of improving strength endurance (or muscular endurance).

. Can be easily structured to provide a whole body workout.

. Does not require expensive gym equipment.

. Can be adapted for any size workout area.

. Can be customized for specificity; easy to adapt.

. Has the potential to burn more calories than conventional aerobic exercise or strength training, both during and post-workout (increase in post workout metabolism), thus beneficial for those attempting to lose body fat.

What i'm going to show you is a little circuit i like to do at home. It takes no longer than 20 minutes to do, and will have you feeling knackered.

This will consist of 7 different exercises that you do for 45-60 seconds before moving straight onto the next exercise (taking a 30 seconds rest inbetween).

*Push ups.

Do this for 45-60 seconds non stop...

take 30 seconds rest, and then....

* Chair squats

This is pretty simple, just keep your feet flat, facing forward and touch your bum on the chair like you would sitting down before returning to the original position. Do this for 45-60 seconds.

take 30 seconds rest...

*Burpees

Here is a video, that best explains how to do this. It's basically a mix of the above 2 exercises. Do this for 45-60 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yWBNgRHrc

take a 30 second rest...

*Ab crunches

Do this for 45-60 seconds

take 30 seconds rest...

*Bicep curls

You can use tins of baked bean tins as weight resistance. Do this for 45-60 seconds.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c2deuxmEGY...bicep+curl.jpg

Take 30 seconds rest....

*Shadow boxing.

Just punch the air, it's that simple, do this for 45-60 seconds.

Take 30 seconds rest...

*Steps

Just step up and down on the steps as fast as you can. You can use stairs for this. Do this for 45-60 seconds.

Now your body needs fuel to recover. You have a 30 minute window to refuel and get the full benefits of the workout you just did. Low fat chocolate milk and a banana is the perfect post workout snack. Gives your body all the fat, protein and carbs it needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X