No announcement yet.

Kovalev would brutally KO Roy Jones JR prime for prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
    It's not like Roy at his prime was literally "Mr. Untouchable". He got touched up plenty and had some shaky moments here and there in between all the bum beating that HBO served him up with.

If he doesn't treat Kovalev like a real threat and isn't mentally up for it like it's the biggest fight of his career, he can lose and lose badly. Kovalev definitely wouldn't be part of RJJ's youtube highlight reel where he makes him look silly like all the others.

Please list the times Jones got "touched up plenty" during his prime. I know you have your head firmly stuck in Kovalev's ass but at least you can be truthful.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      RJJ wasn't touched that much, be real here fella and this is coming from a guy who calls RJJ on his bum rush resume. Guys was damn quick, when guys did manage to catch him it was with the sides of their gloves, a tiny graze.

RJJ could easily score a UD over KOvalev who is quite slow on his feet and terrible fighting on the back foot, let's not forget RJJ possessed impressive power of his own. Kovalev has shown a shakiness around the chin himself and RJJ would test him more than any LHW on the planet right now.

But like I said, RJJ switches off for any extended period of time and he ends up getting KOd...but that's all I'd give Kov, a punchers chance.
      Not accurate man. Kovalev is terrific at cutting off the ring and excellent at moving in and out of range, he has fast footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
        Bish please. We are talking about a guy who made a prime James Toney look stupid. He would dominate Kovalev.
        While James Toney himself has no excuse for having weight problems, the asterisk still cannot be ignored. There are articles floating around that Toney blew up to over 200 pounds and barely made 168. They had to put a needle in him just to get some fluids back in him for the fight. Again, no excuse for Toney but to pretend like it was all Roy Jones is fanboyism 2.0.

Certainly, whenever Roy Jones had trouble or lost, people love to point out what was wrong with him (i.e. dropping back down to 175 for Tarver).

So in conclusion: Roy Jones DOMINATING Toney isn't making a good case for RJJ.

Comment

While James Toney himself has no excuse for having weight problems, the asterisk still cannot be ignored. There are articles floating around that Toney blew up to over 200 pounds and barely made 168. They had to put a needle in him just to get some fluids back in him for the fight. Again, no excuse for Toney but to pretend like it was all Roy Jones is fanboyism 2.0.

Certainly, whenever Roy Jones had trouble or lost, people love to point out what was wrong with him (i.e. dropping back down to 175 for Tarver).

If u are gonna make excuses for HOF fighters getting doninated, there is really no point in debating u. That same James Toney that Roy beat, would dominate Kovalev. He's simply not that caliber of a fighter.

Comment

Didn't seem to bother him three months earlier against Prince Charles Williams. Hmmmm I wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

RJJ could easily score a UD over KOvalev who is quite slow on his feet and terrible fighting on the back foot
              LOL@ Kovalev being slow on his feet. While he isn't as fleet-footed as your midwestern/east coast African-american fighters, he is by no means slow on his feet. Have you been asleep during his fight against Hopkins and the way he moved in and out? Hopkins was ready to put a Kelly Pavlik beat down on him but the way Kovalev stepped back out after every combination, Hopkins was forced to reset. Even B-Hop (who I am a big fanboy off, I sported his picture for years on my avatar) wasn't arrogant enough to say that his age or other factors played a role. He admitted what Kovalev did was the major factor in why he lost.

In fact, Kovlev dominating Hopkins (albeit, a lot older but still he wasn't shot) makes a bigger case for him having a shot against RJJ, then any of RJJ's wins. If he simply got a split decision like Calzaghe, Jermain Taylor or even Dawson, I would agree but he owned HOpkins. WE KNOW how good RJJ is, so it's a moot point pointing out his key victories.
              Last edited by cupocity303; 03-29-2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

If u are gonna make excuses for HOF fighters getting doninated, there is really no point in debating u. That same James Toney that Roy beat, would dominate Kovalev. He's simply not that caliber of a fighter.
                That is not a good reply from you. I point out to you that I'm making no excuses for Toney as he has no excuse for showing up out of shape, being a professional fighter. But I point it out nontheless since it's a factor to be considered when you make statements like: Bittch please, he dominated the great Toney.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Didn't seem to bother him three months earlier against Prince Charles Williams. Hmmmm I wonder why?
                  Is that your best retort? Did he struggle as much making weight for that fight as he did for the RJJ one? Any reports? And obviously, showing up not being at your best against Charles Williams is not as detrimental as doing the same for RJJ - who is miles better.

The point still being, there is an asterisk to that dominant performance. Maybe RJJ still beats him just the same had he not struggled with weight; or maybe he doesn't dominate him but still wins comfortably. But using that dominant performance as a case for why Kovalev has no chance is a fallacy. If you disagree, then Roy Jones has no excuse for the Tarver loss, and Antonio gets full credit for knocking him out as Roy had plenty of time to get it together after their first fight, which went to the full distance.

Comment

That is not a good reply from you. I point out to you that I'm making no excuses for Toney as he has no excuse for showing up out of shape, being a professional fighter. But I point it out nontheless since it's a factor to be considered when you make statements like: Bittch please, he dominated the great Toney.
                    Your reply was an excuse. James Toney, a p4p fighter, was beat by Roy Jones, another p4p fighter. Keep your excuses. Toney had been doing the same thing for years, and he pretty much dominated everyone he fought up until that time. And like I said before, he would have dominated a prime Sergei Kovalev on that night as well.

Comment

Also, the James Toney THAT SHOWED UP FOR RJJ with reports of struggling to make weight would most certainly get defeated by Kovalev.

I will not go off topic and start a prime Toney vs Prime Kovalev debate, it's academic anyway. But the 168 weight struggling Toney gets owned by Kovalev. He has every ability in the world to keep Toney off him, including the size which would play a major factor.

Comment

Working...
                      X