David Haye "I'm the hardest punching fighter pound-for-pound in the world"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Haye "I'm the hardest punching fighter pound-for-pound in the world"

THE HEAT: Can Haye stand it?

DAVID HAYE and John Ruiz came face to face yesterday at Manchester Citys town hall when the final press conference was held before Saturdays WBA heavyweight title fight. Both fighters were confident of a win in front of the Sky Sports cameras but were also very respectful of each others abilities. Adam Booth [Hayes trainer] and Miguel Diaz [Ruizs trainer] where also in attendance.

DAVID HAYE On Ruizs strengths : There is not one danger. He is very good at everything he does but I wouldnt say he is exceptional in any one area. He has good defence, good attack, he has all the punches in the book and thats what makes him effective. Whenever he has fought, his previous opponents have underestimated him and come out with a silly gameplan, they havent studied him like they should and things have gone pear-shaped but Im not going to fall into that trap.

On the lack of trash talk :John Ruiz has been here before and hes heard it all before. Ive heard people in the past over the years giving him abuse verbally and he does the same job every time. When the first bell goes he does his talking in the ring and Im aware of that so it would be a waste of time giving him too much verbal.

On how he will win the fight :I have been hitting quite hard and I always punch hard and I dont think Ive ever fought a guy before that I didnt badly hurt in the pros or amateurs so I think that tells my punch power. I believe Im the hardest punching fighter pound-for-pound in the world and this will be a good indication of how hard I hit.

John Ruiz got stopped 14 years ago early after getting caught cold against one of the biggest punchers of the last 10 years [David Tua] and stuff like that happens. Since then he hasnt shown any signs of a weak punch resistance but im looking at making a statement and going out there and doing something dramatic and people are going to be shocked.

ADAM BOOTH (TRAINER FOR DAVID HAYE)

On Ruizs age
    Somebody said to me the otherday about Johns age and asked did I think his best days were behind him. I have watched lots of little things from his training that show signs of a man who has got a renewed vigour about him. I believe John Ruizs worst days are behind him and his best days are now and we have prepared accordingly.

On the respect the two boxers have shown :You have two guys here who are in good condition, one heavyweight champion and one challenger. There is no need for trash talk. And no matter what anyone says on Saturday you are going to get one of the best fights British boxing has seen in a very long time for the world heavyweight title.

Just step back and watch the guys shake hands and look at the respect the two guys have for each other. David has more respect for John Ruiz than anyone else he has ever boxed before.

JOHN RUIZ On Hayes strengths :Like many people say, he is fast and tends to move around a lot. He gives many different angles and its a fight I have to be prepared for. I have never really studied him, I am more worried about myself. I want to make sure I?m in top shape because when I start worrying about someone else I tend to lose ground on my own personal training but I see it as a tough fight. Thats the only way Im going to see it. He didnt win that title by someone giving it to him. He went out and won it and deserved it but Saturdays another day.

On his own age :Age is just a number, it depends on how you feel especially how to train and how determined you are to win. I always said I didnt have the greatest talent in the world but one thing I always took pride in is my determination to make the best fight out of everything and win.

On his chances of winning :I dont need to say Im going to win as I wouldnt be here if I didnt think that. There is no point in thinking of anything other than winning otherwise id rather go home today and move on with my life. Thats my personality, every fight I go into is going to be a win. The day I have to prove it is Saturday.

MIGUEL DIAZ (TRAINER FOR JOHN RUIZ)On David Haye :Out of all the tapes I have watched of David the one I paid most attention to is [Giacobbe] Fragomeni. The [Carl] Thompson fight has no reference to me as David had only 10 fights at the time. When he fought Fragomeni he was boxing a very small guy with short arms and he was beating him to the five-round point but Fragomeni made the later rounds look a different fight so that tells me that maybe he cant take the heat of the kitchen. He has to prove it this fight that he can take the heat and I expect a great fight from him and I expect a great fight from my fighter.

Good read, I'm looking forward to this fight, Haye is gonna be brutal.

Comment

Should be an easy night for Haye.

Comment

forget p4p hayes the hardest puncher in boxing period.

Comment

Edwin Valero disagrees

Comment

Originally posted by El Cabron View Post
            Edwin Valero disagrees
            need to ask his wife about that

Comment

Originally posted by z0jo View Post
              forget p4p hayes the hardest puncher in boxing period.
              yeah forget all common sense, Haye is the hardest in boxing history PERIOD. Matter fact, he's the hardest puncher in the universe's history since the big bang.

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                his wife had broken ribs which punctured her lungs. I'd say that's a good sign he hits decently hard.

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                  Originally posted by etlux View Post
                  his wife had broken ribs which punctured her lungs. I'd say that's a good sign he hits decently hard.

Comment

Originally posted by etlux View Post
                    yeah forget all common sense, Haye is the hardest in boxing history PERIOD. Matter fact, he's the hardest puncher in the universe's history since the big bang.
                    so who is the hardest hitter at heavy if its not haye then?

Comment

Working...
                    X