Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just starting running..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps I am being misunderstood. Three miles, almost every day, or 4 to 5 times a week, doesn't seem like it would put a lot of stress on anyone who is not in horrible shape.

I know for myself, running 3 times a week is more of a maintenance cycle. I really won't see much appreciable gain in speed or endurance this way. If I want to step up a level in cardio, I need to run more often, or 4 to 5 times a week. I turn up the intensity also, with a belief that the more often I push myself to near cardio failure, I am also pushing my threshold. In other words, running 4 to 5 times a week where several times I run as fast as I can breathing for my life, I will see progress in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I took into account the man's age, height and weight and assumed that there were no injuries that might be aggarvated by running. At 15 most people's bodies are pretty resilient. Perhaps he should start at 2 miles instead of 3. But I feel it is important that a person push themselves at an intensity that borders on cardio failure. That is, unless the person is willing to wait months, not weeks, to see tangible results.

3 miles x 5 days a week = 15 miles per week. To me that doesn't sound like a lot for someone so young. That is unless he has some form of injury. Also, it cannot be stressed enough the importance of proper stretching during this period and plenty of water. Please, I want to make clear that this is my opinion only, based on what has worked for my body, and I am not an expert by any means.

Comment

Nothing wrong with waiting months to see the right results. It is much better than getting the wrong result, ie. an injury, within weeks.

I train fighters of all ages, and there are vast differences to how much training different individuals can endure. Basing advice to others on your own experiences only, is a good way to give bad advice. You're fortunate that you can go from no training to a high volume with high intensity, but most people can't do that, especially not someone who has never trained before. Therefore proceeding with caution is the best way to go.

Comment

remember too that improvement tails long behind the work.. you might not start noticing stamina improvements for 2-3 weeks, so don't start increasing workload right away if it seems easy..

Comment

Working...
        X