No announcement yet.

short fighter vs tall

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short fighter vs tall

short fighters should jab a lot more than tall fighters or no?

There's no specific rules for how to do anything in boxing, just depends on skill, technique, talent, ability, etc. Which is why it's called the sweet science.

But having an active jab, is generally thought of as a good way to work your way into punching distance vs taller fighters.

I personally hated trying to get inside by using my jab, I always felt it became predictable, and exposed me to right hands. Boxing is funny like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      There's no specific rules for how to do anything in boxing, just depends on skill, technique, talent, ability, etc. Which is why it's called the sweet science.

But having an active jab, is generally thought of as a good way to work your way into punching distance vs taller fighters.

I personally hated trying to get inside by using my jab, I always felt it became predictable, and exposed me to right hands. Boxing is funny like that.
      i am in complete agreement with that.
      yea i've been sparring, paying attnetion to what works and what doesnt, studying pro fights of small vs tall fighters..
      and all my observations contradict what i am often told to do "use that jab even more against taller opponents"
      i can easily jab EFFICIENTLY against ppl with similar reach/height.
      but against taller fighters, i find it very inefficient and often opens up to counter-rights or simply getting out jabbed, yet my instructor constantly tells me to jab even when im not in "my range"

Comment

The jabs you do throw have to have more meaning.

I usually jab the body against a taller fighter.

Against dudes around my height or shorter I head hunt. Against a fighter more than an inch or two taller I am total opposite.

When you are against a taller dude its easy to throw it out there and become predictable. Don't forget to double and triple it up, power jabs. Don't forget to feint it as well.

I think distance finding jabs and touch jabs are easier to counter for the taller fighter.

When you throw that jab and get countered by a single shot or jab that's when doubling and tripling your jab comes into play. Almost any taller fighter can slip your first jab and counter you but if you follow that jab up with a power jab and a left hook then your gonna win that exchange, throw a few more while your in there if you can.

If your just trying to land a single jab a taller fighter will counter that all day because he isn't worried about getting hit by anything else.

Of course its easier for the taller fighter to predict, read you and see what is coming well before it gets there. The extra movement (jab, head movement, feints) will help create openings but at the same time if you get predictable with it at all it can cost you that much more.

Comment

@beavis ah yes, agreed with the counter jab, step outside his jab, angle off and hook (all within his first jab)..

however, jabs do the body tend to be less efficient..
          i mean really, how much damage/effect can it really do at the risk of getting headshotted by a cross from the taller fighter?

I've fought as a taller fighter and dropped a right hand before, and recieved a right like that as well.
          and from both experiences, the jab to body is ****. even if power jab..

am i doing it wrong? are my opponents doing it wrong?
          thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
            i am in complete agreement with that.
            yea i've been sparring, paying attnetion to what works and what doesnt, studying pro fights of small vs tall fighters..
            and all my observations contradict what i am often told to do "use that jab even more against taller opponents"
            i can easily jab EFFICIENTLY against ppl with similar reach/height.
            but against taller fighters, i find it very inefficient and often opens up to counter-rights or simply getting out jabbed, yet my instructor constantly tells me to jab even when im not in "my range"
            now thats an insightful man!

maybe its more important to mix it up if you are working your way in than it is if you are on the outside? Tyson throws a jab now and then uses it effectively but also counter left hooks alot and and goes to the body alot too.

I have no idea just taking my best shot.
            Last edited by AlexKid; 04-11-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
              @beavis ah yes, agreed with the counter jab, step outside his jab, angle off and hook (all within his first jab)..

however, jabs do the body tend to be less efficient..
              i mean really, how much damage/effect can it really do at the risk of getting headshotted by a cross from the taller fighter?

I've fought as a taller fighter and dropped a right hand before, and recieved a right like that as well.
              and from both experiences, the jab to body is ****. even if power jab..

am i doing it wrong? are my opponents doing it wrong?
              thanks again
              You might be jabbing to the body when your body is still straight up. Try stepping in low and be ready to exit left or right low to avoid the counter.

Comment

I find that jab is effective against a tall fighter. It will keep them busy instead of letting them set the distance and pace. You cant jab from too far out but do when stepping in and touch them anywhere with the jab. After a while it opens other offense for you

Comment

thanks alex and toby for the replies, will think through and try them out

Comment

I use the jab against taller fighters more defensively than I did vs shorter fighters.

For instance if I'm trying to move in, or against the ropes, I used a more loaded jab to back them up, and hurt them, as opposed to a more offensive jab to try and move inside, or set up bigger punches.

The one thing I ALWAYS do vs a taller fight, is smash my jab to the body. NO one knows how to throw proper body jabs anymore, and most guys aren't use to it, I cam take away an opponents aggressiveness immediately with that body jab.

No one knows how to defend it either, amd the great thing, vs a taller fighter, if you got a good body jab, they'll crunch down to absorb it, bringing them closer to your own height.

I picked that up when Floyd fought Cotto's brother, he came out slamming that body jab rnd 1, and you could see how quickly that lead to everything else. And it wasn't a flick jab, those jabs had bad intentions, you see it in Cotto's face.

Body jab, most underused punch in boxing. But you gotta have footwork to really use it.
                    Last edited by AddiX; 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X