Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading this forum it seems a lot of posters have no clue what"LINEAL CHAMPION" means

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the idea of lineage. In theory it should a corner stone of the sport.

Unfortunately in modern times especially, it doesn't really work. There's too much politics and business which drive the sport.

I think as fans we still have a duty to try and keep a lineage, but by sticking to the fundamental rules (which I agree with), there will be anomalies and disagreements. I don't see any other way to do it though. You just have to accept the man who beat the man is champ, which isn't the hard part.

The hard part is deciding who the man is. When two challengers fight to create a lineage where it is broke , not everyone will agree who the top 2 are and there's too many circumstances which make it near impossible for the real two best fighters to actually face each other.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      yeah but floyds dick riders, beating baldomir meant floyd had beaten the best, which was far from the truth at the time. but dont let the maynerds hear u on that
      You can't listen to *****s they elevate the Gatti win into something special it's the norm with these clowns

Comment

Here in this site if they like the fighter and is the lineal champ they will defend it. If they don't like the fighter then he is not.

It is what it is. With all these bogus titles out there you can only go with the man who beat the man who beat the man

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
          Here in this site if they like the fighter and is the lineal champ they will defend it. If they don't like the fighter then he is not.

It is what it is. With all these bogus titles out there you can only go with the man who beat the man who beat the man
          You defiantly have a point but look at the Adonis Kovalev situation who do you think is the man at lhw right now even the ouch Adonis beat the man that beat the man ?

Comment

Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
            You defiantly have a point but look at the Adonis Kovalev situation who do you think is the man at lhw right now even the ouch Adonis beat the man that beat the man ?
            No but it is they way it went. I think Kovalev is the better all around fighter but until they don't get into the ring with each other we are not going to know.

I don't like it at times like the Baldomir situation but it is how it goes and you have to give the fighter their credit for beating the man

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
              You're right, but I think thats taking a mistaken perspective with 'the best but isnt a champ'

I think youve entangled yourself too much with the vagueness of the concept of 'championship' to forget that being the best is a far better achievement than being the champ. Being the champ is unimportant in this scenario (look at Cotto/Stevenson), and always will be.

Of course this only applies when theres concensus on who is the best - like Golovkin, Uchiyama, and to some extent Kovalev...
              This is only short term. History is written by the victor. In 10 years, nobody besides the hardcore fans will remember that Cotto wasn't a true MW champion. They will goto equivalent of boxrec, see that he held the lineal MW and say he was one of the best MW ever.

I think this is precisely why unification is so important. You're establishing yourself as the man to beat in the division, no matter how you got all the belts.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
                No but it is they way it went. I think Kovalev is the better all around fighter but until they don't get into the ring with each other we are not going to know.

I don't like it at times like the Baldomir situation but it is how it goes and you have to give the fighter their credit for beating the man

The Baldimor situation was what it was ,yes he beat the lineal champ but the sad reality is that he wasnt the best WW at the time . Judah was such a disappointment he should have never lost to the likes of Baldimor

Comment

yeah but floyds dick riders, beating baldomir meant floyd had beaten the best, which was far from the truth at the time. but dont let the maynerds hear u on that
                  Nobody claims that as anywhere close to one of his top wins, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                    Nobody claims that as anywhere close to one of his top wins, so I don't really know what you're talking about.
                    If you've been on this forum long enough, you know the Baldomir win elevates Floyd as the best welterweight in 2006, because he was the "lineal" champ lol

Don't act like that's not the logic being used here in yet another larry thread.

Comment

If you've been on this forum long enough, you know the Baldomir win elevates Floyd as the best welterweight in 2006, because he was the "lineal" champ lol

Don't act like that's not the logic being used here in yet another larry thread.
                      Show me a post in here where that "logic" is being used.

Comment

Working...
                      X