Margarito Vs. Calzaghe Vs. Tarver: the science of Beat Punching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsrizpac View Post
    Thanks, once in a while I try.

If you want more threads like it I'll try to start writing them. It could be a fun changeup from all the trolling and racism around here.
    You are a troll

Comment

Originally posted by bsrizpac View Post
      All three of these men use (or in Tarvers case have used with inconsistency) an offense that swarms with a lot of punches thrown aka "flurries".

Now semantics about how often Tarver really used this offense aside (you can see it in Jones 1, and Johnson 1/2 if you really want to go down that route), I thought I'd highlight what makes it effective.

For the purpose of this discussion I'm going to ignore footwork, and angles so don't complain about that, that's on purpose. All we are talking about is punching here.

Now some of you already know this, those that train, and others have heard of it called something else I'm sure by a lot of trainers and coaches.

In any case they all use the offense of flurrying with a high workrate. Well why does this work? Ignoring also counterpunches and the fact that they all have good chins, how can this be effective even if the opponent is covering up quite well, and flurrying as we know does not carry as much power as sitting down on your shots?

If you go to a boxing and gym and try to bullrush or flurry or shoeshine you will be cut down immediately. So how does these guys get people into corners and flurry to win fights and even hurt their opponents.

Ignoring how they get them there (that's another long and lengthy discussion) when they flurry they use beat punches.

Simply put this is the science of mixing up your shots, and just a fancy name for something pretty easy to understand.

But let's take it a bit further.

Let's take a 3 punch combination. It can be anything. Jab, right hand, left hook- basic, and classic.

Beat punching is pausing in the middle of the combination.

Combo 1: Jab-pause-right hand, left hook.

But you can mix it up.

Combo 2: Jab, right hand-pause, left hook.

if you added a punch at the end of that combination, making it let's say jab, right hand left hook, right hand you can increase the number of combinations.

Combo 3: Jab, pause, right hand, left hook, right hand.

Combo 4: Jab, right hand, pause, left hook, right hand.

Combo 5: Jab, right hand, left hook, pause right hand.

As you start increasing the number of punches thrown the combinations you can create increase also.

Is this a true combination? I think my response to that is who cares. For all intents and purposes these combinations are true ones because they confuse the opponent as to what your Rhythm is.

The other technique these fighters use (along with others) this is related to this is that they mix in the hard punches with the shoe shines.

So again looking at the combinations presented above:

Combo 5 could be broken down further into:

A. Hard Jab, right hand, left hook, right hand.
      B. Jab, hard right hand, left hook, right hand.
      C. Jab, right hand, hard left hook, right hand.
      D. Jab, right hand, left hook, right hand.

Obviously all this is overly simplified and works better if you have the conditioning and ability to throw at least a 5+ punch combination. But again that's another debate. These concepts work better the more punches you throw but that should be obvious from watching these fighters.

Questions? Comments?
      A little correction in Calzaghe's case:

Comment

Originally posted by The Cully Lad View Post
        You are a troll
        lol at you *****

Comment

Let me get this straight...

You're....praising Calzaghe?

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
            Let me get this straight...

You're....praising Calzaghe?
            no. This thread had nothing do with praise or negative anything. Just describes tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              bsrizpac.....Calzaghe.......Margarito

****ing geek

Comment

Originally posted by Allucard View Post
                A little correction in Calzaghe's case:
                That slap sketch might be one of the funniest things i've ever seen on TV.

Comment

the only thing money marg, calz, and tarver have in common is how overrated they are.

Comment

This pausing in his combos are what make Calzaghe underrated. From the tv everybody think that guy is often open to counters but when a fighter is in there he cant use the openings because they are there at random and their purpose is to confuse and lower your guard. Good thread

Comment

Working...
                    X