Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does GGG vs Canelo break the 2 million PPV sales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Tejano View Post
    Let's say they fight on September 2016 with a stacked card.

-Main Event:Canelo vs Golovkin
    -Co-Feature:Roman Gonzalez vs Juan Francisco Estrada
    -Undercard:Luis Ortiz vs Andy Ruiz
    What are you an intern with HBO trying to impress your boss with some public opinion stats?

I think its safe to say GGG will never be apart of any PPV does that 2M buys. GGG's first PPV set his bar lower than most expected. If he was a younger guy perhaps he could grow into a huge PPV star who does 2M buys, but with the dynamics he's gotta deal with I don't think its possible.

I suspect Canelo vs GGG does a lil less (700kish) to a lil more (1.1M) than Canelo vs GGG did if they can build it up solid enough. HBO is the king of hype.

The undercard doesn't matter. The people that get you to 1M+ buys don't care about the undercard & 99% of the hardcore fan who plan to buy will buy it if the undercard has a flyweight super fight or Kimbo Slice.

Comment

Hell no..........

Comment

People who are new to boxing don't realize how hard it is to sell PPVs. Floyd and Manny did over a million regularly, but those 2 are so much bigger than everyone else.

It's as simple as this, There's no fight right now that doesn't involve Floyd or Manny that does over a million buys, period.

Quite frankly, unless they are fighting each other, I don't think any fight with Floyd or Manny does over a million either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich2123 View Post
          People who are new to boxing don't realize how hard it is to sell PPVs. Floyd and Manny did over a million regularly, but those 2 are so much bigger than everyone else.

It's as simple as this, There's no fight right now that doesn't involve Floyd or Manny that does over a million buys, period.

Quite frankly, unless they are fighting each other, I don't think any fight with Floyd or Manny does over a million either.
          Agreed. Taking Floyd and Manny out of the conversation, its safe to say that Cotto and Canelo were the #3 and #4 ppv draws, and COMBINED they couldnt even crack a million.

A million buys is VERY tough to do.........

Comment

Nope......

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
              After that poopie first fight between Mayweather & Pacquiao, I doubt # II would break 2 million. Cotto vs Mayweather II wouldn't do it either, especially after Cotto's loss to Alvarez. Golovkin vs Canelo would do much better than 500k. Even though it wasn't PPV, Canelo vs Kirkland got 2.1 million views, though Kirkland has a suspect chin and limited skills. Golovkin is an undefeated KO machine & has yet to be visibly hurt. Canelo's a huge Mexican star. A PPV between them may not do 2 million, but it will definitely at least nearly double 500k.

If they lower the price it could

Comment

Probably does around 600,000. GGG brings very few fans with him.

Comment

Hell no. From $100k to 2mill? Lol

Canelo is a draw but still requires the right dance partner in order to pull off a ppv.
                  He's not May/Pac level and Golovkin is a proven flop. The intriguing matchup probably does $600 to $700k but I'm being really generous there.

Comment

Cotto-Alvarez, this supposed massive 50/50 fight, playing off the of Mexico/Puerto Rico rivalry to boot, only ended up doing an initial estimate of 900k PPV buys (that number will likely go up a bit once the actual numbers come in, but likely not by much). gtfoh

Alvarez-Golovkin, in the most rosiest of projections, MAYBE does 700k PPV buys, at the most.

Comment

I needed a good laugh

Comment

Working...
                      X