Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What'd Mayweather Jr's resume potentially look like if he'd spent his career at 130?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Discipline View Post
    Who would have beaten him at a lower weight? I can't think of anyone!
    Pacquiao was a beast at 135. Maybe a prime Shane. But no one at 130 I can think of during his era.

I would have loved to see him against prime Duran, Whitaker, at 135.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
      Pacquiao was a beast at 135. Maybe a prime Shane. But no one at 130 I can think of during his era.

I would have loved to see him against prime Duran, Whitaker, at 135.
      Let's stick to the topic and not bring fighters of old into this. I'm singling out the fighters from Floyd's era... from 1996 to 2007, let's say. Who would have beaten Floyd 135lb and down?

Pac, yes I agree - was a beast. But no way would he have beaten Floyd at 130lb. If he struggled with JMM and Morales, he would have had massive problems against a better boxer than both of them, in Floyd.

Comment

Casamayor/pac. Lefties are a prob for floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
          As of right now, floyd is an atg at 130. But he wouldnt be undefeated if he stayed there and fought the best. And i wpuldnt hold it against him. Id prob have him rated higher atg. Fighting multiple real comtenders wit every imaginable style at one weight> cherry picking at multiple weights.
          theres not a fighter in the modern era thats fought at 130 id pick over floyd. that version of floyd was the perfect blend of offense/defense/speed. he did everything on a a+ level.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
            He wouldn't have always been able to make 130 though. I still think that if Floyd really pushed himself and cut weight, he could probably fight at 140 today.

He would have been great regardless though. I already say no 130 lb fighter beats the 2001 version of Floyd at 130 lbs. There's some close fights in there I'm sure, but I'd never bet against that version of Mayweather at 130. Mayweather is easily one of the greatest Super Featherweights of All-Time. Genaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy, Gregorio Vargas, Diego Corrales, Carlos Hernandez, Jesus Chavez, he has a damn good SFW resume.
            You can't just pick a weight class and stay there if your body outgrows that weight. I agree that 140 is the lowest weight he could stay at.If he had stopped growing at 130 he would have been hard to beat, but he is hard to beat even today at 147 and age 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
              Casamayor/pac. Lefties are a prob for floyd.
              ....And counter punchers, with good foot movement is Pac's weakness.

Casamayor would have got lit up anywhere and at anytime.

Comment

Sure, cuz floyd was spanking lefties at 130-135. Stevie is another one.

And dempsey, you have floyd over everyone fantasy fight wise for whatever reason, so why post?

Please note i already posted that floyd is a top 5 130 lb fighter already but lets be realistic here, at 130 he beat grinders and brawlers.

Comment

Why so dismissive of Casa? You would not think there is any chance that Castillo would beat Mayweather had they not fought but in my opinion he did in the first fight, and did pretty well in the 2nd. Casa was tricky, tough, and could punch. I agree that you have to favour Floyd, but get lit up? Not sure about that.

Comment

I can think of a few, Julio Cesar Chavez, Arguello, the original Camacho, for sure. Duran at lightweight would have torn him to pieces.
                    Last edited by edgarg; 04-06-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                      Why so dismissive of Casa? You would not think there is any chance that Castillo would beat Mayweather had they not fought but in my opinion he did in the first fight, and did pretty well in the 2nd. Casa was tricky, tough, and could punch. I agree that you have to favour Floyd, but get lit up? Not sure about that.
                      He certainly did. I saw that fight and Castillo did a proper job on Mayweather. It was robbery to give it to Mayweather, never mind even the overwhelming CompuBox scores in Castillo's favour.
                      Last edited by edgarg; 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X