Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to "stay" at 154, he has to actually be 154

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
      Lets give Saul Alvarez team some credit, they are smart enough to realize it is wise to not move him up to 160. As boxing fans we always want guys to move up as soon as they show a bit of dominance at their weight but moving up is also a time when things can go wrong.

I remember a guy name Felix Tito Trinidad, boxing fans and media had him believing he was better than what he was. Tito was great at 147 and 154, so much so that the media, his fans, and team thought he was great enough to conquer 160....WRONG!! BHop snatched the life out that kid. Sent him back down to where he was supposedly at his best weight only to become fodder for Winky Wright.

I remember a guy named Kelly Pavlik, he had some pretty good fights at 160, won the middleweight title and looked like the next best thing in boxing. Along the way his fans, team and media convinced him that he was better than what he was and he made the mistake of challenging an aging Hopkins at a catchweight....WRONG!! Defeated, exposed, and now an unemployed drunk.

I remember a fighter named Tommy Hearns who thought his height, speed and straight right hand could stop any opponent in their tracks. He was great at 147 and 154. Somewhere along the line, his team, fans, and media convinced him he was good enough to move up to 160 and defeat Marvelouls Marvin Hagler. After a superb 3 rounds Hearns lay collapsed on his back half dead (exaggeration), defeated and depleted.

So to Team Alvarez I say smart move, definitely stay at 154 because the guy is simply not good enough to beat middleweights. Its obvious, he's too slow, predictable, and seriously needs a weight and size advantage to be effective. Alvarez stuggled with Trout, Lara, and Mayweather, surely he should stay far away from the best Middleweights.
      I made the same thread one month ago
      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=704806

Yes, he should go back to 154.... he is not good enough for the MW division

Comment

Might as well we know he ain't fighting GGG!

Comment

He should pick 154 or 160. Trying to stay 160 pound world champion while defending his title at 155 is making one of my favorite fighters look bad.

Comment

By the way Hopkins didn't send Trinidad back down to his best weight to become fodder for Winky Wright. Trinidad fought Wright at 160, not 154 which was Trinidad's best weight. Wright probably would have won at 154 because Trinidad was never the same after losing to Hopkins and not being given a rematch. His heart didn't seem to be in boxing anymore. Consequently he didn't train as hard or fight as well as he did before Hopkins KOed him.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              I'd be surprised if Rosado can make 154 tbh, he looked like **** against Charlo. Teixeira is fighting Stevens at MW presumably; I don't see Stevens going down to 154 if he manages to win. I'd guess it'd be Smith, Cotto and Soro. Do you think he'll have another PPV bout this year?
              The Cotto rematch would be on PPV, and I'd expect that Golden Boy could milk a Rosado fight into being on PPV (Mexico vs Puerto Rico, Mexico's biggest star, on Mexican Independence Day weekend of Cinco De Mayo weekend); a fight against Liam Smith (WBO 154 champion, traveling Brit) will likely be talked up as a PPV showdown too.

The rest of the showdowns possible are likely set for HBO Championship Boxing ($2m-$3m payouts per show), with Canelo's Mexican TV money keeping everything copacetic.

Comment

The guy is the greatest 155 champ in boxing history. He's obviously going to stay in the division where he's made his name.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                  I made the same thread one month ago
                  http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=704806

Yes, he should go back to 154.... he is not good enough for the MW division
                  Well you and I are on the same page when it comes to Canelo, I see him being nothing at Middleweight but average

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    Trinidad fought Winky at 160. Tito never moved back down after B-Hop.

The problem with wanting to move back down to 154 is that a lot of his potential (legit 154lb) opponents are with Haymon.
                    Khan is with Haymon. And who are the potential opponents at 155?

Comment

He hasn't fought at 154 for almost 3 years so i'm not sure how he's supposed to stay there.

Comment

Working...
                      X