No announcement yet.

Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Michael Farenas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
    How did you guys feel about Gamboa returning to the ring after 15 month layoff??

Gamboa is one of my favorite fighters! I thought he put on a very exciting fight! Though it was apparent he had some ring rust, I thought it was a great great.

I was watching the fight at a Buffalo Wild Wings, and it was packed and maybe 2 or 3 people even knew who Gamboa was, by the end of the fight, everyone was cheering and excited for El Ciclon!!

I thought it was a great warmup fight for Gamboa to take on a very talented Michael Farenas!

GAMBOAWAR!

Also, how did you guys feel about 50 cent's entrance? I've been saying for YEARS Boxing needs more theatrics..in the US specifically, since the Klitschkos have epic entrances at every fight! But 50 cent recently talked about this...
    I've already written extensively on this subject, so I'll make similar comments brief. I thought Gamboa looked pretty good, everything considered. He fought a decent and determined opponent after a long layoff. I think Yuri will look better in his next outing.

I watched the fight in a crowded sports bar. It was loud, and I could barely hear the announcers or "50's" show. The show was visually nice, but they kept flashing "Fitty's" name on the screen, not Gamboa's. I thought they should've put Yuri's name up there with "50's". After all, it's supposed to be a promotion, right?

For what it's worth, I heard a couple of people knocking Gamboa and supporting Farenas. It was clear they didn't know either fighter, but they seemed not to like Gamboa's cocky demeanor and rooted for the apparent underdog instead. I'm glad you got another take where you were.
    Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 12-10-2012, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MVOLT View Post
      Gamboa is overrated

he goes life and death with journeymen
      Can't really deny this...

Gamboa got knocked down by a no hoper.

Comment

People seem to forget Gamboa beat Ponce, Salido, and Solis.

I'd love to see Gamboa fight Salgado next at 130, or hopefully Vazquez at 135 next.

Comment

How is Farenas a bum/no hoper? I told you, he is no stepping stone. He is no bum! He is a very respectable fighter in his own right that gives it his heart & soul everytime.

He put up a great effort, why is nobody giving him any credit?

Good win for Gamboa and a solid test which IMO should of been expected considering the lay off and the fact Farenas is undeniably a quality operator who in my honest opinion knocks out a lot of those top 130lbers.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            How is Farenas a bum/no hoper? I told you, he is no stepping stone. He is no bum! He is a very respectable fighter in his own right that gives it his heart & soul everytime.

He put up a great effort, why is nobody giving him any credit?

Good win for Gamboa and a solid test which IMO should of been expected considering the lay off and the fact Farenas is undeniably a quality operator who in my honest opinion knocks out a lot of those top 130lbers.
            I gave Farenas credit even before the fight happened. Just because I expected Yuri to beat him bad doesn't mean I thought he sucked. I'll even go so far as to say I underestimated the man. Michael fought like a champ. He gave it his all and refused to be an "opponent". Farenas has good power, and it's not just reflected in his KO record. That guy can hurt anyone at 130 if he catches them right.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              People seem to forget Gamboa beat Ponce, Salido, and Solis.

I'd love to see Gamboa fight Salgado next at 130, or hopefully Vazquez at 135 next.
              Who would've thought, back when the fight happened, that Salido would turn out to be Yuri's biggest win? Gamboa impressively handled perhaps the biggest badass in the featherweight division. Ponce De Leon was target practice. Gamboa made him look like he was standing still. (Yeah, the same Ponce that Broner almost lost to.) And Yuri tore through Solis, a pretty respectable fighter, like a Cuban missile through butter.

Bring on anyone at 130 next. Gamboa just got twelve good rounds in against a decent fighter. He's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                I gave Farenas credit even before the fight happened. Just because I expected Yuri to beat him bad doesn't mean I thought he sucked. I'll even go so far as to say I underestimated the man. Michael fought like a champ. He gave it his all and refused to be an "opponent". Farenas has good power, and it's not just reflected in his KO record. That guy can hurt anyone at 130 if he catches them right.

I agree with that. I think this fight showed more that Farenas is a legitimate contender and a big player at 130 rather than Gamboa got exposed.
                Farenas is a high risk, low reward guy.

That was a beautiful counter he lulled Gamboa on to, a fighter with a glass chin would not of got up from that. Just showed how great his conditioning is that was a tremendous shot, a finisher.
                In fact he landed several wicked shots that I feel would of taken any other/most guys out.

I'm not sure why people are ****ting on Gamboa for either, I don't think he has the best chin or defense in the world but when you're fighting top class opponents which I feel Farenas is, you're going to get hit & Farenas packs a big punch, hes called Hammer-fist for good reason lol. I still feel Gamboa beats anyone south of 135 & the only guy capable of perhaps testing/beating him is Broner.

Comment

I really don't think Gamboa is staying at 130 too long, he looked big at 130. I think we could see him fight Vazquez next at 135, setting up a potential Gamboa-Broner fight. Damn I want that fight so bad next year.

Comment

He was off for 15 months. His timing was a bit off, that why he kept getting him by those rights. Give him a couple more fight before you write him off, he's looked excellent in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      I agree with that. I think this fight showed more that Farenas is a legitimate contender and a big player at 130 rather than Gamboa got exposed.
                      Farenas is a high risk, low reward guy.

That was a beautiful counter he lulled Gamboa on to, a fighter with a glass chin would not of got up from that. Just showed how great his conditioning is that was a tremendous shot, a finisher.
                      In fact he landed several wicked shots that I feel would of taken any other/most guys out.

I'm not sure why people are ****ting on Gamboa for either, I don't think he has the best chin or defense in the world but when you're fighting top class opponents which I feel Farenas is, you're going to get hit & Farenas packs a big punch, hes called Hammer-fist for good reason lol. I still feel Gamboa beats anyone south of 135 & the only guy capable of perhaps testing/beating him is Broner.
                      Gamboa took more shots in that fight than any other before it. I wasn't too crazy about it, but there was a bright side: Yuri answered (to my satisfaction, at least) any real questions about his beard. I mean, the guy obviously isn't granite chinned, but he can take a good shot well enough. His style and talent doesn't require him to take massive punishment.

And I agree, 130 belongs to Gamboa. I also agree that 135 is where the challenges really present themselves, beginning with Broner.

Comment

Working...
                      X