Collapse
No announcement yet.

How short is too short for heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How short is too short for heavyweight?

Mike Tyson was considered short for a heavyweight, him being 178 cm in height.
    Rocky Marciano was also considered short for a heavyweight, being 180 cm.

Many people have been "short" heavyweights and gone on to knock people out and be GOAT's while doing so. However I get the feeling that I might be too short to be a "short" heavyweight. I'm a mid way through 16 yrs of age, 80kg (muscle not fat) and 174 cm in height. My problem is even though I could still grow later in life but I have a feeling I've stunted my growth since weightlifting at a young age.

Anyway even if I only ever grow to around 175-176 is that too short for a heavyweight? will I really do well against the now towering Russian's who dominate the boring, slow, monotonous HW scene?

I guarantee you'll be at least 180cm by the time you're 21.

EDIT: I can't really guarantee but you don't stop growing till your 21. I got my biggest growth spurt between 16-18.
    Last edited by D-MiZe; 10-23-2014, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks man, really hope I do get some growth kicking in, kinda bummed out when I measured my height today.

Comment

How tall are your parents? Do you have any older brothers?

Weightlifting wouldn't stunt your growth. Your brain doesn't stop growing until you're 25 either. The notion you become an adult at 18 is a bit silly tbh.

Comment

My mum is fairly short, a good 10cm shorter then me, however my dad is at least 179-180 cm. Aside from that I've been fairly convinced that I stunted my growth through lifting, ever since I started I've only grown 2-3 cm MAX and that's over a 3-ish year period. Hopes of being a 178 HW aren't looking too good.

Comment

Do you want to be a pro boxer? If so you should probably aim at fighting as a light heavyweight (80 kg).

Comment

Getting into top condition is something you can control and should be your goal! How tall you are you have no control over and it means nothing in boxing. In this sport knowledge and conditioning with willingness is important.
              In recent times Frazier, Tyson, Tua and many more give height away in every bout, it's their talent coupled with power that lifts them above.
              Heart is something that is cultivated but it is also genetic.
              Ray.

Comment

I can give it all I've got, train as hard as any man could, and drill every punch combination possible into my brain. But I've always been conscious about my height, especially against taller, lankier opponents. I just feel that a decent heavyweight worth their salt should be around 178, no little then 175.

Comment

If your goal is to be "decent" try golf, its safer to be decent there than here!

Comment

It's like people who ask how old is too old to start boxing. Well if you ask a stupid question like that - don't start in the first place.

The main thing with boxing is hard work, anything can work if you work hard. You're worrying over an inch or two, this ain't a dick measuring contest.

You're asking us how well you'll do, well that's entirely up to you. You need a mindset that you're going to the top and nothing is going to stop you. If you're a midget, you're going to be the best damn midget in heavyweight boxing.

Honestly, if you're ummin' and arrin' - you shouldn't be sparrin'.

Comment

Working...
                    X