No announcement yet.

The jab jab right hand combo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The jab jab right hand combo?

I read an article that says this is almost the best combination to throw because it's so versatile. Discuss

The old one-two works well but I might like the jab, jab, right better since it seems to throw people off. I think the real key is having many different combinations in your arsenal. This is the problem I have with guys who move and throw one or two punches and then just keep moving. Combinations are the best way to develop as a boxer and they are almost always beneficial. I also like the lead right hand a lot. And doubling up with anything is usually effective when used sparingly.

Comment

The keys are distance control, angle and having ur chin tucked behind ur lead shoulder while throwing the jab. Also a key is not overusing the move so that u don't get timed.

The jabs in this combo don't have to have a lot of power, u can just use them to distract ur opponent and once on of them touches the opponent this is how u know u r in range for the right hand, however if u don't have the right proactive defense u can be in trouble, cuz what if u fall short with both, but u r too heavy on ur front foot that ur head is leaning forward a bit cuz of ur own momentum? U r perfectly in range for a counter punch, so u have to make sure that if u miscalculated the distance that u keep ur hands up and bob and weave out of trouble.

Footwork is extremely important, everything starts from the feet, u can step in and to the left with ur lead foot while throwing the jab to do 2 things, first is to distract ur opponent with ur lead foot, second is to close the distance and a slight step to the left is good to expose ur opponent's center line, if u can't expose the center libe the right hand will get blocked by the lead glove of ur opponent, and of course footwork after the right hand is of extreme importance, having proactive defense and being defensively responsible are of extreme importance.

Again, never overuse a combo and try to unload this combinations while ur opponent least expects it.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        The old one-two works well but I might like the jab, jab, right better since it seems to throw people off. I think the real key is having many different combinations in your arsenal. This is the problem I have with guys who move and throw one or two punches and then just keep moving. Combinations are the best way to develop as a boxer and they are almost always beneficial. I also like the lead right hand a lot. And doubling up with anything is usually effective when used sparingly.
        Good post

To op, just keep in mind you are facing another thinking fighter. Your punch selection and combos should not become stagnant or you will be timed and countered. It's best to keep your combos dynamic with whatever situation is at hand. The jab jab right is a nice one though. I also like a 1,2... a 2,3.. a 6, 3, 2... and so on

Comment

it really is the most basic combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
            Good post

To op, just keep in mind you are facing another thinking fighter. Your punch selection and combos should not become stagnant or you will be timed and countered. It's best to keep your combos dynamic with whatever situation is at hand. The jab jab right is a nice one though. I also like a 1,2... a 2,3.. a 6, 3, 2... and so on
            Oh for sure. If there is one thing I don't see fighters do enough, it is punch in combination. Like you say, you have to find your openings, but one punch at a time just does not get it done.

Comment

I think the versatility of this combo comes out by combining it with other combos and/or throwing with a rythm change, like throwing the 2 slower than expected so that your opponent throws his guard up too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
                Good post

This post is insightful.

It also perfectly demonstrates why assuming that any 'combo' will work in the ring will get you knocked out. With the quickness.

Here's the thing to remember about training combos - you are doing nothing more than creating muscular patterns. You're ingraining what are supposed to be good mechanics and varying the way you accomplish repetitions so as not to say, 'ok, throw ten thousand jabs with your left, then you're done for today. Tomorrow we'll do ten thousand straight right's."

My point is, a combo and the versatility of a set of punches is only as effective as the fighter's comfort in throwing any given punch, and his [or her] reaction time. The best combo to train may be the classic 1,2,3. It may be a 1x4+3. It just depends on the fighter. Ultimately, there is no 'good combo' unless it lands. Anything that's not intended to do damage is basically a feint. Anything that doesn't ACTUALLY do damage is wasted energy [in the ring*].

Comment

Only one of the basics, Effectiveness will depend on how fast and how CRISP is your jab.
                  Effective if you have longer reach than your opponent, Your opponent is flat footed and square into you.

One two ( Jab, straight is the most basic)

Comment

Remember with the double jab you are trying to open the guard. Shoot it a little wide. Get him to pull his right out a little then shoot the right. Once he gets wise work in the double jab hook combination, or vice versa work the double jab hook and then the double jab right.

Comment

Working...
                    X