No announcement yet.

Was Bonecrusher Smith the most hated opponent of Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Bonecrusher Smith the most hated opponent of Tyson

I saw Tyson stuck his tongue out on Smith and in one round when after the bell, they confront each other and Tyson threw a punch, we know the bad blood between Tyson against the likes of Holyfield, Lewis, Holmes and Biggs but Iron Mike didnt do any disrespectful thing to them as compared to Bonecrusher.

I also remember having read on what Tyson said about his opponents and he praised Larry Holmes for being courageous but he said something on Smith like he was telling everyone before their fight on how he's gonna beat Tyson or so, etc.

I believe Mitch Green holds that distinction.

Comment

Tyson really wanted to hurt Tyrell Biggs (and did). I think it went back to their amateur days.

Comment

Smith was making it a complete clinch fest and stunk the entire place out which was frustrating Tyson, that's all.

Comment

There might be some Class consciousness at work that created some bad blood between these two men:

Smith was a college graduate who was articulate, well spoken, stable....as a matter of fact, keeping in mind that this was before the Klitschkos, Smith may have been one of a few college educated fighters at the time.

Tyson, as a very intelligent, predatory (at the time at least) Black man may have percieved Bone crusher as "Uppidy" or some other such feeling reflecting a distrust and hate at a man who conventionally had displayed intellect as opposed to the street smarts Tyson saw in himself and the "proper" way to display such qualities.

There is irony here....Mike was and has always been a scholar of the game. And while Mike crafted his experience on the careful analysis of great fighters in the past....the well educated Bone Crusher...much like the well educated Juan Baby Bull....fought like a dope. I mean Smith was obstinate enough and strong enough and big enough but was hardly the intellgent fighter that Tyson was. Watching Diaz or Bone crusher sort of auto pilot through a fight makes one realize that ability and learnedness can be displayed, or not displayed (as the case may be) in many ways. I just know that if I had to compete on a game show involving fighter history and knowledge, I would definitely want Tyson on my team.

Anyhew....Class consciousness like rascism can be kind of silly.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            There might be some Class consciousness at work that created some bad blood between these two men:

Smith was a college graduate who was articulate, well spoken, stable....as a matter of fact, keeping in mind that this was before the Klitschkos, Smith may have been one of a few college educated fighters at the time.

Tyson, as a very intelligent, predatory (at the time at least) Black man may have percieved Bone crusher as "Uppidy" or some other such feeling reflecting a distrust and hate at a man who conventionally had displayed intellect as opposed to the street smarts Tyson saw in himself and the "proper" way to display such qualities.

There is irony here....Mike was and has always been a scholar of the game. And while Mike crafted his experience on the careful analysis of great fighters in the past....the well educated Bone Crusher...much like the well educated Juan Baby Bull....fought like a dope. I mean Smith was obstinate enough and strong enough and big enough but was hardly the intellgent fighter that Tyson was. Watching Diaz or Bone crusher sort of auto pilot through a fight makes one realize that ability and learnedness can be displayed, or not displayed (as the case may be) in many ways. I just know that if I had to compete on a game show involving fighter history and knowledge, I would definitely want Tyson on my team.

Anyhew....Class consciousness like rascism can be kind of silly.
            Interesting. How did Smith do for himself after his boxing career? Sounds like he had all that was necessary to ensure a solid future for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
              Interesting. How did Smith do for himself after his boxing career? Sounds like he had all that was necessary to ensure a solid future for himself.
              Not sure but BKM? as a betting man? If you put BoneCrusher on the rails tomorrow with a fitty, and Mayweather retired tomorrow? I know who I would bet had more money in ten years time....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Tyson really wanted to hurt Tyrell Biggs (and did). I think it went back to their amateur days.
                Biggs was like Ali then, loud-mouthed and even said he bowed to shock the world, Tyson was at his cruelest against Biggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
                  Biggs was like Ali then, loud-mouthed and even said he bowed to shock the world, Tyson was at his cruelest against Biggs.
                  Just had to share this recollection: Like all Tyson fights at this time most people had a percect understanding of how this fight would turn out...Yet it always seemed there was a lone dissentor....a guy, or group, armed with a reason that would expose Iron Mike in his limited capacity. In this case, Biggs had some amateur success with Mike that this small minority thought would carry over.

Comment

well I dunno but Smith certainly made the fight suck. Just clinching and running all night while losing every round in the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X