No announcement yet.

best abs workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jas View Post
    so frog, you are not a fan of manny's workout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JN8Nque1Sc

manny doesn't know sh#T about getting ready for a pro boxing match, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      lmao

Comment

I don't think it's the most effective way to build core strength, especially considering how long he does it for it seems to be for muscular endurance.

Originally posted by New England View Post
        Lol

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
          I don't think it's the most effective way to build core strength, especially considering how long he does it for it seems to be for muscular endurance.

Lol

you can think what you'd like. this is america.

Comment

Not even slightly out of breath, that is insane. Gonna and keep up with at least 5 mins of this at some point this week

Comment

so you like the low reps , heavy weight frog for strength and size of abs?

boxers do the abs workouts often.

do you suggest rest days in between ab workouts?

Comment

so you like the low reps , heavy weight frog for strength and size of abs?

boxers do the abs workouts often.

do you suggest rest days in between ab workouts?
                Yes, I treat abs just like every other muscle group. Train them with heavy resistance for low reps to build the most strength possible.

How often you train abs depends on the volume of training per workout. I do them three times a week at the end of my strength training. You can spread out the workout volume throughout the week if you want by doing less sets per day.

Comment

Are there any successful pro boxers you can point to that train their abs with high weight and low reps, Frog?

Comment

In my opinion the best abs work out does not involve sit ups or crunches

I used to chamion these and variations of these exercises but I now find that this combination of exercises works best.

It is built around the Ab wheel roll out, this double wheel together in the centre with handles can be purchased from any sport store for around AU$30.

This exercise puts the rectus abdominus under the most tensile contraction of any exercise for the abs. It also does so in a way that keeps the lower back neutral and actually helps strengthen and maintain it. When the exercise becomes more endurance on the knees, it can be performed on the feet for the ultimate tension possible in an ab exercise whilst maintaining a stretch. It attacks both upper, lower and middle abs.

If you haven't tried this exercise, do it and I promise you'll rarely ever bother with a cruch or sit up, probably ever again! It also works your abs in conjunction with lats, tris etc, just like they work with other muscles in boxing, improving coordination. It also requires balance.

After these, I perform free lateral twists holding a weight, this hits the transverse abdominis and obliquies under stretch. It also develops equilibrium and works the forearms, bis, shoulder girdle and lower back in conjunction building coordination there.

I am not competitive now but if I was and needed a more complete core routine I would add in a few rounds of free side bends throwing my arm across top of my head each side to achieve simultaneous lateral and oblique stretch too. And also waist circles holding light handweights to put my spine through the full range of motion and limber it right up.

If your trying to build absolute core strength too it might be a good idea to also do a couple sets of fairly heavy deadlifts too.

This pretty much exhausts what a boxer would need in terms of direct core work.

I work all exercises in 3 min rounds (even the roll outs, if they get too hard, drop to knees or shorten them up at the end).

Try it.

If you only did 1 round of each you could probably do it everyday (except deadlift of course) But if you really wanted to concentrate on your core one day you'd need recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1
                      It is built around the Ab wheel roll out, this double wheel together in the centre with handles can be purchased from any sport store for around AU$30.

This exercise puts the rectus abdominus under the most tensile contraction of any exercise for the abs. It also does so in a way that keeps the lower back neutral and actually helps strengthen and maintain it. When the exercise becomes more endurance on the knees, it can be performed on the feet for the ultimate tension possible in an ab exercise whilst maintaining a stretch. It attacks both upper, lower and middle abs.

If you haven't tried this exercise, do it and I promise you'll rarely ever bother with a cruch or sit up, probably ever again! It also works your abs in conjunction with lats, tris etc, just like they work with other muscles in boxing, improving coordination.
                      Cosign. One of my coaches also swears by this over traditional high rep ab work and I've become a convert.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X