Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would anyone want Ward to win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I respect you JAB but this thread makes you look naïve.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
      I respect you JAB but this thread makes you look naïve.
      Before I step in to work let me ask one question. If this fight had happened in Russia with Kov edging it in his favor, would the same people saying Kov was robbed be screaming Ward was robbed?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Before I step in to work let me ask one question. If this fight had happened in Russia with Kov edging it in his favor, would the same people saying Kov was robbed be screaming Ward was robbed?
        Many of them admittedly wouldn't -- due to the same reason(s) Ward biased followers of the sport now try to justify his 'victory'. But that would mean they're agenda driven (like 90 percent of Ward fans are on these boards following the weekend)

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of posts about a Kovalev being robbed and corrupt judges, refs and what not. So my 1uestion is pretty simple. Why would the judges, orgs or states athletic commisions want Ward to win? He doesn't draw, isn't exciting, so what possible reason is there to hand the belts over? Personally I think the fight could have gone either way. I've watched to fight twice and given it to each fighter. It was that close. So can someone please explain why they think there was corruption in this fight?
          What kind of question is this?

Roc Nation invested very well on him. Payed him 5+ millions for this fight.

Also they will try to make Ward the new Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
            To set up the trilogy and milk this ****. Also was easy to root for Ward because he was the one who moved up and was the lighter puncher. All things that get ppl to root for u.
            Several months ago, Duva predicted a trilogy between these two guys... Back then, I didn't understand just how could it happen...

Comment

These people got some creative ass minds. Lol

Boxing is corrupt as **** but when you can only point to one round where you disagree with the judges than I say they did a pretty damn good job.

Comment

If the decision was corrupt it would've been due to nationalism/xenophobia. But 114-113 for Ward isn't a completely unreasonable score. People screaming robbery really need to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  Several months ago, Duva predicted a trilogy between these two guys... Back then, I didn't understand just how could it happen...
                  She probably thought her guy would win and Ward would demand a rematch. Didn't think it would go down the way it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    Many of them admittedly wouldn't -- due to the same reason(s) Ward biased followers of the sport now try to justify his 'victory'. But that would mean they're agenda driven (like 90 percent of Ward fans are on these boards following the weekend)
                    I really don't think there is anything to justify. It was a very close fight. It certainly gives a new perspective watching the Arena video of it rather than the HBO telecast. But if fans wouldn't react the same under reverse circumstances is there anything to really complain about? We saw a great fight. We didn't see a Ward who was smeared as a cheater and would need to cheat in this fight. We didn't see a ref favoring one fighter over the other. Truth is, I think Kov clinched more than Ward. But that's boxing and neither here nor there. We got a great fight. I think Kovalev fans should be admitting that. Especially the ones who first said Ward would never sign, than said he'd back out and than said he would need to cheat. None of that was true. 2 warriors got in the ring and fought with great heart. The results could have gone either way. I say move on and hope for the rematch.

Comment

I really don't think there is anything to justify. It was a very close fight. It certainly gives a new perspective watching the Arena video of it rather than the HBO telecast. But if fans wouldn't react the same under reverse circumstances is there anything to really complain about? We saw a great fight. We didn't see a Ward who was smeared as a cheater and would need to cheat in this fight. We didn't see a ref favoring one fighter over the other. Truth is, I think Kov clinched more than Ward. But that's boxing and neither here nor there. We got a great fight. I think Kovalev fans should be admitting that. Especially the ones who first said Ward would never sign, than said he'd back out and than said he would need to cheat. None of that was true. 2 warriors got in the ring and fought with great heart. The results could have gone either way. I say move on and hope for the rematch.
                      I didn't see it very close but fair enough when people did. I just don't see how you can give Ward the edge, imo it clearly stinks of cookery and I haven't been the only one expressing this opinion - by far. Most observers still had Kovalev winning, close fight or not and that's a fact. Which makes what the judges did highly controversial. There really isn't any denying that, unless you're biased. Lederman had it 116-111. Merchant thought it was a fixed fight. I could give other prominent examples. There's a reason for the outrage.

If Ward would have won fair and square, I for one would have just given him his respect and admitted he's the better fighter. But it's not the case. Ward didn't look special either and that's Kovalev's credit. People who said Ward would school him, etc. literally look like idiots now. Kovalev actually won a decision and made Ward look mediocre while doing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X