Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were Muhammad Ali's 10 best opponents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Liston was between 32 and 38 years old and had fought a total of 6 rounds in the previous 3 years and came in at the second highest weight of his career. Liston was still a great fighter, but I don't think he was prime either.
    well age played no factor seeing as though he was a similar age when he killed Patterson......he came in the second highest weight in his career because he thought Ali was going to be a pushover and didn't give his 100% in training camp and IMO Liston was a prime fighter who was just taking his opponent lightly

Comment

Originally posted by Rolling Stone View Post
      well age played no factor seeing as though he was a similar age when he killed Patterson......he came in the second highest weight in his career because he thought Ali was going to be a pushover and didn't give his 100% in training camp and IMO Liston was a prime fighter who was just taking his opponent lightly
      I would think that the lack of rounds in the previous years would be a major factor against a fighter such as Ali. Patterson was just to small with a chin that wasn't that good. He was also scared ****less in my opinion, much the way Spinks came in against Tyson. I do agree with his weight and probably not giving 100% in training camp though.

Out of curiosity how do you think the 1959 Liston does against the 1964 Ali?

Comment

I would think that the lack of rounds in the previous years would be a major factor against a fighter such as Ali. Patterson was just to small with a chin that wasn't that good. He was also scared ****less in my opinion, much the way Spinks came in against Tyson. I do agree with his weight and probably not giving 100% in training camp though.

Out of curiosity how do you think the 1959 Liston does against the 1964 Ali?
        Probably the same way anyone would do against a 64-67 Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by right_hand_lead View Post
          yes i agree......1964-67 Ali beats any heavyweight in history, and a much younger, more focused Liston will have the same outcome IMO

Comment

Patterson in my opinion was a light-heavy would have possibly been the best of all time, had he dropped down a division.. He was pretty delicate when compared to Ali, and had no business being anywhere near whatever version of Liston..
            Because of the 2 fights with Floyd, Liston hadn't had anywhere near enough target practice to be facing off against someone of Ali's calibre..
            Due to the controversy surrounding his age, it's difficult to put a finger on when exactly he was prime. I'd suggest around the time he beat Eddie Machen and Cleve Williams, but it's pretty open to debate really.. Two things we can be sure of though, is at the time of fighting Ali, he was well over 30 and suffering from ring-rust..

I'll make an alternative list of who I thought gave Ali the best outings:-

1. Norton
            2. Frazier
            3. Jones
            4. Chuvalo
            5. Shavers
            6. Bonavena
            7. Young
            8. Bugner
            9. Foreman
            10. Folley/Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              Patterson in my opinion was a light-heavy would have possibly been the best of all time, had he dropped down a division.. He was pretty delicate when compared to Ali, and had no business being anywhere near whatever version of Liston..
              Because of the 2 fights with Floyd, Liston hadn't had anywhere near enough target practice to be facing off against someone of Ali's calibre..
              Due to the controversy surrounding his age, it's difficult to put a finger on when exactly he was prime. I'd suggest around the time he beat Eddie Machen and Cleve Williams, but it's pretty open to debate really.. Two things we can be sure of though, is at the time of fighting Ali, he was well over 30 and suffering from ring-rust..

I'll make an alternative list of who I thought gave Ali the best outings:-

1. Norton
              2. Frazier
              3. Jones
              4. Chuvalo
              5. Shavers
              6. Bonavena
              7. Young
              8. Bugner
              9. Foreman
              10. Folley/Cooper
              I also put Liston to be near his prime sometime around the cleveland williams fight. Interesting about Liston's age and many also think Hagler's age is not accurate. Many claim he really was like 3 or 4 years older.

Per ALI- Shavers hit him harder than any fighter he ever faced and i do think it was one of his most challenging fights. I still think the Liston fight makes it in the list mainly because of Cassius Clay's young age and fighting for the world title and Liston was still a feared fighter than. It was still a great upset.

Comment

Originally posted by right_hand_lead View Post
                yes i agree......1964-67 Ali beats any heavyweight in history, and a much younger, more focused Liston will have the same outcome IMO
                Im talking specifically the 64 Ali who beat Liston the first time around. Liston was a different animal in 59, faster, more active and cutting a wide path thru the heavyweight division.

I believe he gets to Ali much more easily maybe even dropping Ali sometime before the 7th. I think Liston would start to tire from chasing Ali about the 10th round and Ali's speed would become more noticeable down the stretch as he went on to win a close but UD. Scores would be in the ball park of 8-7, 9-6. But this would be a much closer fight than the old inactive Liston Ali fought in 64. That there can be little doubt of.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeyapudpud View Post
                  I do believe Sonny Liston deserves the top spot.Ron Lyle should be up in the top 5 and Jimmy Young deserves no such place in this list.Jimmy Young's claim to fame is losing a gift decision to a fat Ali and losing a close decision to a severely weakened Ken Norton.His wins over Ron Lyle and Foreman are definitely suspect.
                  i agree with you... Jimmy Young was nothing special and was very fortunate to get the nod over George Foreman..

i would include Cleveland Williams & Zora Folley to the list but this should be Ali`s Top 20 not Top 10... Cleve Williams was one of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history, he knocked out over 50 fighters, hitting one opponent so hard he broke the mans back and the guy had to go around on crutches for the rest of his life.. Ali said that if it was not for him being champion Zora Folley would have been champion during the 60s

Comment

Im talking specifically the 64 Ali who beat Liston the first time around. Liston was a different animal in 59, faster, more active and cutting a wide path thru the heavyweight division.

I believe he gets to Ali much more easily maybe even dropping Ali sometime before the 7th. I think Liston would start to tire from chasing Ali about the 10th round and Ali's speed would become more noticeable down the stretch as he went on to win a close but UD. Scores would be in the ball park of 8-7, 9-6. But this would be a much closer fight than the old inactive Liston Ali fought in 64. That there can be little doubt of.
                    nice post JAB, i agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
                      1-Sonny Liston
                      2-George Forman
                      3-Joe Frazier
                      4-Ken Norton
                      5-Floyd Patterson
                      6-Jimmy Young
                      7-Ernie Shavers
                      8-Oscar Bonevena
                      9-Jerry Quarry
                      10-Jimmy Elliss,Joe Bugner,Ron Lyle,Ernie Terrell

I left off Archie Moore and Larry Holmes.Moore because he was 49 years old,and Holmes because Ali was washed up and way past his prime.

I would like to see what others believe were the 10 best fighters that Muhammad Ali fought.....In order 1 through 10.
                      1. George Foreman
                      2. Joe Frazier
                      3. Sonny Liston
                      4. George Chuvalo
                      5. Ron Lyle
                      6. Earnie Shavers
                      7. Jimmy Young
                      8. Ken Norton
                      9. Floyd Patterson
                      10. Joe Bugner

bugner is in the list because he was young , experienced and big at the time they fought.
                      but the 3 bottom places in this list are not locks.
                      if someone has better idea about them , he might be true.

Comment

Working...
                      X