Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE ANSWER! Is it a good idea to lead with a long range left hook VS a southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE ANSWER! Is it a good idea to lead with a long range left hook VS a southpaw?

So there is a nice gap for the right cross the go to punch against southpaws.

The jab is blocked by their lead hand.

But theres a nice little opening for a long range left hook.

Ive been told a long range left hook will beat a straight right to the mark (a mid range left hook wont because its path is too circular) so it may beat the right cross (or left cross for southpaws) to the mark.

The only counter that will beat it is a jab so it seems kinda safe.

What do you think of this as a shot to set up the straight right, since the jab is so easily countered and they will be expecting a straight right lead all night.

Im no expert so can you tell me the flaws in leading with a long hook? Or is it actually a good idea?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post

Ive been told a long range left hook will beat a straight right to the mark (a mid range left hook wont because its path is too circular) so it may beat the right cross (or left cross for southpaws) to the mark.

What do you think of this as a shot to set up the straight right, since the jab is so easily countered and they will be expecting a straight right lead all night.

Im no expert so can you tell me the flaws in leading with a long hook? Or is it actually a good idea?

I tended to get clipped more from left hooks in close to be honest when in the southpaw stance. Attacking with a long left hook against a southpaw is a bit risky unless you are extremely fast. Too easy to telegraph and counter.

Comment

You will be open to their straight left. Use the left hook to counter their straight left hand instead or better yet have it follow your own straight right.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        You will be open to their straight left. Use the left hook to counter their straight left hand instead or better yet have it follow your own straight right.
        Great point thankyou.

What about if I used it to knock his lead hand out the way before I follow with a cross?

Am I still gonna get a straight left in my gob?

ALSO

What if I jabbed then turned my hips over at the last moment turning it into a jab delivered hook?
        Last edited by AlexKid; 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I tended to get clipped more from left hooks in close to be honest when in the southpaw stance. Attacking with a long left hook against a southpaw is a bit risky unless you are extremely fast. Too easy to telegraph and counter.
          Got it thanks mate!

What about if I used it to knock their lead arm out the way or me over into a safer position then follow with a cross?

Or

What if I jabbed then turned my hips over at the last moment turning it into a jab delivered hook?

Comment

Got it thanks mate!

What about if I used it to knock their lead arm out the way or me over into a safer position then follow with a cross?

Or

In the first instance, your opponent (if he's any good) will see whats on its way and will likely counter with his left....either as a straight or a left hook from the southpaw stance. He'll pull back, your left hook will miss his lead right and you'll be open.......unless your super quick!

In your second example, hooking off your jab is a much better idea. Perhaps even feint the jab first. But in my opinion I'd take care to lead to the left (thats your left!) of your opponent's lead hand.

The more sparring you do, the more you'll become wise to what works. Let practice take over theory and listen to your coach.....fingers crossed he knows his stuff.

Comment

Got it thanks mate!

Or

Still risky. A simple step back or jab while your trying that could completely off set you and leave you open to a left up.

I always found leading with straight right hands better then anything else.

Comment

ive fought and sparred alot of southpaws straight rights and lead hooks are the best punches and least risky.. all lead punches work very well the best way to know is to try it!!

Comment

it's not the best idea to attempt it straight out with a long hook. The easiest points in boxing to score on south paws is a straight right hand to the stomach. Work that shot abit, ofcourse following with the hook, and then feint the right to the belly, getting low to sell it, and then pop up with that hook.

jab him to his body, catch him with it a few time. Feint that jab to the body, getting low to sell it and then pop out with that long hook.

just use your imagination. when in the ring you have to use feints, to see what he bites on and to set yourself up for the immediate future. It's become the lost art within the art that is boxing.

feinting is an art and is not easily mastered. the art of convincing one of one thing when you have every intention of bustin' his ass with something else.

You gotta sell it to get them to bite..........Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Would only suggest throwing LONG range hooks against a southpaw worth anything if it's a throwaway punch to set up something else like a straight right.

As a southpaw, I LOVE the right hook against right handers but normally time it as they're coming in or on the inside. Very hard to see lead hooks when thrown against opposite handed fighters especially if they have traditional peekaboo guard.

Someone said leading with a straight right works against southpaws...only garbage ones or maybe if on the inside already. Any southpaw that consistently gets hit with lead right hands from a mid to long range distance shouldn't be in the ring. You have to set that up with some jabs against a decent southpaw or they will catch it, duck under it, or step back and let it fall short.

Comment

Working...
                    X