Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since when did "earning the fight" become a thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That only something boxers used to avoid a fight , 95% of the boxing matches on today are mismatches , hell Thurman just fought in a mismatch on his last fight

Comment

It makes a good excuse for not fighting a guy they don't want to fight. Mayweather says that more than anybody. He may have started that trend. Pacquiao doesn't deserve a fight with me. He must beat Bradley and Marquez first. GGG hasn't earned a fight with me. Khan hasn't earned a fight with me etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JQside View Post
        But you have to admit Thurman used to say he'll fight anyone that's put in front of him. I'm sure you've seen a video of an unknown Thurman railing at Malignaggi for not fighting him. What happened?

Anyone have a link of that video?
        Don't know how to embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ0Khh6vEuo

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
          All I see is fighters saying x,y,z hasn't "earned" a fight with them. Yet in their immediate previous fights they usually fought at least a couple of guys who shouldn't have been in the ring with them.
          Since the beginning of boxing moron. There is a path to earn a title in every sport, boxing is no different. Just like teams don't play for the super bowl in game one of the regular season, and just like the Copa Del Rey isn't given to a random team, in boxing you earn the right to fight the cash cow or champ. Stop being ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            LOOL I've been saying this for ages and I'm not gonna ***** foot, it's all to do with Floyds fans defending every opponent he has and hating on Khan cos of his race or religion, either will do for them.

Since when did what Maidana earn a fight? Or is Ortiz and Guerrero beating Berto more impressive than beating Alexander or better at the time than fighting Pacquiao? It's ridiculous. But then again, so are his fans.
            It is true that Floyd was avoiding Pac, but boxing didnt revolve around them two facing eachother. Reporters and fans just pretended it did, and overlooked the young big fighters. Yes, Ortiz, Ghost, Nelo, Mosley, Marcos all earned fights with Floyd.

When Ortiz beat Berto, he took his Zero and became the number 2 fighter in the division. If Floyd wasnt going to face Pac he would be a flatout duck to not fight Ortiz. Ortiz was big af, and outweighed Floyd by 15lbs. Floyd was 34 and Ortiz was 24. It was the right fight to make!

Same with Ghost. He beat Aaidyn who everyone ducked, and also beat Berto to jump up the ranks. When Marcos beat Broner, who did Khan beat? Khan still hasnt had a big win since Devon. He been fighting bums, expected to be giftwrapped the fight. Broner was a major star on the rise and Floyd would be flatout foul to not reward him the fight.

All of Floyd's foes are the same. They all worked hard and got a fight. Berto is just a going away fight because Floyd wants someone to stand still and take punishment Floyd wants a KO and he may beat everyone else, but he wont ko anyone except berto maybe

Comment

I remember Floyd on ESPN saying he won't fight Cotto and Marg cos they have losses and the reply from the interviewer was "so, thats cos they fought each other". And then they asked him "why fight marquez", reply "cos he called me out"

"Cotto and Marg have called you out too"

crickets

lol

/thread
              floyd is a complete coward hahahahahahahahahahaha. no way to defend it.

floyd has really helped spawn a generation of cowards who follow in his cowardice.

Comment

I remember Floyd on ESPN saying he won't fight Cotto and Marg cos they have losses and the reply from the interviewer was "so, thats cos they fought each other". And then they asked him "why fight marquez", reply "cos he called me out"

"Cotto and Marg have called you out too"

crickets

lol

/thread
                lmao show me that. i dont remember espn asking floyd anything about margarito.

Comment

If every fighter accepted challenges from fighters who have yet to beat a legit opponent, and the champ wins, the challenger will just be deemed as "exposed" by fans. In other words, blame fighters' behaviors on boxing fans and media unfair judgement of fighters.

Comment

I don't agree with Thurman at all cause he's still proving himself and doesn't have a signature win. I agree with -Kev-, we boxing fans are the absolute most cynical fans on the planet. Honestly, a fighter back then had a loss and continued his career, these days a boxer loses and all of the sudden everything he accomplished prior is irrelevant, "he's a bum", "got exposed". Bottom line though, Thurman is in no position to dictates who he fights, he has a promoter, and a manager and basically must fight whoever they put in front of him.

Comment

earl you haven't earned the right to start a thread like this. only larry and I have. we are the a-sides around here!

Comment

Working...
                      X