Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ward: We Got Grimy, We Got Dirty, Slowly Took Kovalev's Heart

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward got out boxed all night. Kovalev was jabbing his face off.
    If Byrd was allowing anything to go, why not allow low blows, kidney punches, rabbit punches and the occasional bite.
    Ward got an early Xmas gift, he should enjoy it while he can. Lightheavy isn't his division. A couple more beatings like Saturday's and he'll be punchy.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      All this downplaying of Kovalev refusing to give him any credit is making me feel Ward isn't feeling having a rematch.
      he gave kov credit in various interviews, what makes u think he isn't giving him credit, hes not saying he dominated hes saying he grinded out a hard victory, kov slowed down and admitted he got tired. the body shots have a lot to do with it. both fighters did very well, there was no clear victory for either one but I had ward by one but a draw as well because round 10 is too hard to score

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        The one thing I will say, Kovalev did look dead tired at the end and admits he was very tired, which is strange considering that he didn't throw as many punches as previously done in past fights.
        Missing with punches takes much more out of you than landing punches. I also think there is a psychological aspect to getting fatigued when missing punches. I don't know if there has ever been a study on it, but I feel frustration can be physically fatiging in its own right. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Missing with punches takes much more out of you than landing punches. I also think there is a psychological aspect to getting fatigued when missing punches. I don't know if there has ever been a study on it, but I feel frustration can be physically fatiging in its own right. Jmo.
          Yeah agree with that.

Also inside fighting is a very different type of fitness to outside fighting. Much more strength based than on the outside. Very draining if you arent used to it. Can leave your muscles feeling fatigued very quickly.

Not saying its more or less difficult than outside fighting, but its different

Comment

"Never affected by any of Kovalev's shots"? Lol. Maybe you should tell your face that.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              Im not claiming he was weight drained but I was told by a few people on here that it is hard for him to make 175 and that he wanted to fight at CW at some point.
              Oh... Well, boooooo!!! to that. Although I think there should be a division between CW and LHW (that 25lbs difference seems a bit steep, especially compared to the other division increments), he should move up if it's an issue. I'm getting tired of the weight drain game. Brook is another guy that keeps crying about having to cut weight. Move up and fight people your own size!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unsuspected View Post
                Kovalev missed his chance. You could see that Ward was still fighting his way back from the effects of his long layoff. Two easy paid sparring matches don't add up to a real scrap against a top fighter after the amount of time Ward spent away from the ring. The fact that Kovalev was spent by the end in a way we have never seen before doesn't bode well for him in a rematch against a now sharper and more prepared Ward.

yea Ward will be much better for that fight

Ward will be sharper/stronger..... those 12 rounds will definitely benefit him..... he will have 1 more Shilstone camp under his belt..... and he will be more confident having already beaten Kovalev

it won't get any easier for Sergey that's for sure, they are the guys who will be second-guessing themselves and looking to make changes

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
                  Typical post by you. Argue against a comment that nobody made. Who said anything about slick? There is no reason for him to fight any different than he did the last 6 rounds. And the adjustments come in knowing the timing of Kovalev jab and mistakes made in timing it and evading it. Also, when did facial damage start determining who wins a decision. It's round by round scoring.

So you really believe Kovalev held back in the biggest fight in his career? He said he was going to KO Ward!
                  Kovalev has already said he made a mistake by holding back. And no one said facial damage was anything more than facial damage. But in THIS case, it's the markings of a beaten fighter. Kovalev landed more, harder punches, kept pressing forward, and he was the champ. I'm not sure what language you speak there bud, but it certainly isn't normal English. I'll call this one a career. See ya, friend.

Comment

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
                    Quote:
                    First, Ward wasn't all that slick in this one. He got pounded and beaten. Or did you not see the 'after' footage? Adjustments? Nearly every time he tried something slick, Kovalev was right on him. Kovalev landed more shots, and he even admitted he held back. That won't happen in the rematch. I just hope you don't bet the farm on Ward to repeat. IMO, it won't happen.

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                    Yea, a professional in a fight of this magnitude and his 0 on the line definitely held back...
                    Look around on Youtube, friend. He's on there saying he should have not held back. THEN get back to us.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                      yea Ward will be much better for that fight

Ward will be sharper/stronger..... those 12 rounds will definitely benefit him..... he will have 1 more Shilstone camp under his belt..... and he will be more confident having already beaten Kovalev

it won't get any easier for Sergey that's for sure, they are the guys who will be second-guessing themselves and looking to make changes
                      I can't see that.

Sergey can have expected to have found Ward so easily with the jab. There rematch will be the same sort of thing - which will be great.

It was a great fight!

Comment

Working...
                      X