which 3 prospects in the last 7 years were the most hyped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which 3 prospects in the last 7 years were the most hyped

My picks are:

Victor Ortiz. Was deemed as the next great Mexican American superstar and it appeared he would be but he was a let down

Joel Julio. In 2006 this guy was destroying everything and everyone and was just 21. He had lots of talent but could never get over the hump.

Yuriorkis Gamboa. Talent for days!!! When I first seen him in 2007 he was 9-0 at 130 lbs. Fans were saying he could beat pacquiao and Marquez. Inactivity bad promotion and stupid choices are holding him back
    Juan Manuel Lopez
    10.00%
    adrien broner
    5.00%
    yuriorkis gamboa
    10.00%
    Victor Ortiz
    10.00%
    Andre berto
    20.00%
    Saul Alvarez
    25.00%
    Joel Julio
    5.00%
    Chris arreola
    0.00%
    Devon Alexander
    0.00%
    other
    15.00%

Canelo/Broner.

Who else remembers the Rocky Juarez hype? Damn, I wanted that kid to be something.

Comment

Does Jeff Lacy count in that time frame?

Because he would certainly be #1.

The only "Hype Job" I consider to be worse than him is Tavouris Cloud but he didn't have the hype Lacy did.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Does Jeff Lacy count in that time frame?

Because he would certainly be #1.

The only "Hype Job" I consider to be worse than him is Tavouris Cloud but he didn't have the hype Lacy did.
        Agreed
        Last edited by TheKza; 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

JuanMa Lopez and Yuriorkis Gamboa were both absurdly hyped up to the point that their two names were inseparable for a few years. Then Lopez got exposed by Salido, and Gamboa threw his promotional support away by signing and then backing out of his Rios contract. Lopez is considered washed up now and Gamboa isn't even on the P4P radar anymore. How times change.

Devon Alexander was very hyped both before and after his Urango KO, it didn't last very long with his next three fights against Kotelnik, Bradley, and Matthysse, where he probably should have lost all three of them (if not for Don King scoring). Those three performances really killed all the hype Devon had and nowadays it seems he's been sidelined from big fights at welterweight.

I never bought into the Victor Ortiz hype until his destruction of Berto. After that I thought maybe he was the real deal after all and would finally live up to his "Vicious" name. But the way he lost his cool with Mayweather and then basically accepted how that fight ended really made me lose a lot of respect for him. I think he's a fun fighter to watch but he reminds me of Kermit Cintron in that I'll always be questioning his mental fortitude in any of his future fights.

Broner and Canelo have a ton of hype behind them too; I still feel that there's more skill than hype with those two than the other fighters I named but it remains to be seen.

Comment

I wouldn't really consider Andre Berto to be a "hyped" fighter. I don't remember anyone ever saying he would be the next Mayweather or Pacquiao, if anything he was sorta seen as the next Shane Mosley. Granted that didn't pan out for him either. His power was pretty hyped but I don't think anyone ever was praising him the way people were praising Broner, Canelo, Ortiz, Alexander, or Khan in their heydays.

Comment

gamboa not overhyped

Comment

Jeff Lacy's hype was pretty extraordinary. He might be the one. Lopez and Gamboa were talked about being the future faces of boxing, and that obviously didn't pan out.

Comment

JuanMa for sure, the way his career fizzled out and so early when he should probably be in his PRIME as a fighter right now is extremely disappointing

Also Amir Khan and Victor Ortiz when they was fighting at 140 was extremely hyped up as fighters, they was suppose to be carrying GBP right now and was suppose to be GBP Top Fighters but both CHOCKED! Ortiz QUIT against Maidana and Khan got knocked the fuk out a few times

Andre Berto same like JuanMa should be in his Prime right now and should be at the top of the Welterweight Division at this very moment but now he is punch drunk at 30 years old and pretty much done

Comment

Lopez is surely the biggest joke of all. When I first signed up here his hype was incredible.

Comment

Working...
                    X