Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did it take Brooks 10 years to get a major title shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did it take Brooks 10 years to get a major title shot?

I am rooting fr Brook but this is a serious question. I know he and Alexander didn't materialize because of injuries and what not. But what about prior to that? Was he just too much of a risk for most fighters? Is it because he is not a "draw"? Maybe he didn't want to travel?

Because he backed out of multiple opportunities out of fear.

Porter is going to smash him. It baffles me that anyone considers him having a chance.

Comment

Lack of discipline. Apparently he's been overweight much of that time, as both his current promoter and previous promoter have said.

Also, he almost went to prison for beating up white folk on two seperate occasions in a bar. Apparently one of the beatings was bad, and he was on his way to prison but Frank Warren intervened.

And finally, he just turned down a lot of fights. Many fighters will only take a title fight late in their careers when they feel they have a beatable opponent, and they are in shape. Mike Jones anyone?

Comment

because he is a chump.

Comment

Because he refused a couple of title shots as a mandatory

Comment

He was brought up the right way and had a lot of bad luck with Alexander getting injured (conveniently a lot like to pretend this didn't happen) followed by him getting injured twice, reinjured his ankle.

Comment

[QUOTE=LarryXXX;14847687]Because he refused a couple of title shots as a mandatory[/]
              He was mandatory to Pacquiao's WBO belt 2010-11, and the WBA while it bounced around from Senchenko to Paulie to Broner to Floyd. Maybe he should have taken the crap money and boxed Senchenko in the Ukraine, but apart from Devon Alexander, he's never really been in a position to fight his mandatories. I suspect he held out for the IBF because of their record of making champs fight their mandatories regularly. Just a personal theory....

Comment

Because he's not that good, career didn't progress as well as what it should've - plus injuries.

Comment

because he refused some title shots and decided to stay in England and fight.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    He was brought up the right way and had a lot of bad luck with Alexander getting injured (conveniently a lot like to pretend this didn't happen) followed by him getting injured twice, reinjured his ankle.
                    Actually, Brook pulled out first with an ankle injury. Then Alexander with a strained bicep injury. Brook then pulled out again with a stress fracture in his foot.

Comment

Working...
                    X