No announcement yet.

Gary Shaw(On 157 Catchweight): No financial penalty for coming in overweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heru View Post
    Lebedev's manager winning the lawsuit against Don King for Guillermo Jones failing drug testing set a precedent. It's only a matter of time until promoters begin suing promoters for their fighter failing to make weight.
    Guillermo Jones tested positive for steroids.....twice

Comment

What are the purses for this fight ?

Comment

Cotto won't walk to the ring but what if Geale doesn't give a ****?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
          Cotto stands to lose a much bigger purse if he calls off the fight, but RN would lose their ass.
          I guarantee you that like every promoter, RN has cancellation insurance on the event, which will let them recoup any expenses already spent. "Potential profit" however is NOT recoverable in the cancellation insurance.

The damage to Cotto's reputation however would not be repairable.
          Last edited by OnePunch; 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heru View Post
            Lebedev's manager winning the lawsuit against Don King for Guillermo Jones failing drug testing set a precedent. It's only a matter of time until promoters begin suing promoters for their fighter failing to make weight.
            King lost that lawsuit because he used a standard "provision of services" agreement between himself and Ledbedevs people. Id bet a steak that any promoter using provision of services agreements since then has added language to insulate themselves from "fighter initiated actions" like missing weight, pulling out, or failing drug tests........

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              I guarantee you that like every promoter, RN has cancellation insurance on the event, which will let them recoup any expenses spent.

The damage to Cotto's reputation however would not be repairable.
              Good point. I wonder how this impacts HBO? If the fight gets cancelled due to Cotto's CW demands, going forward I wonder if HBO would be willing to accept this?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                Good point. I wonder how this impacts HBO? If the fight gets cancelled due to Cotto's CW demands, going forward I wonder if HBO would be willing to accept this?
                HBO definitely has a dog in the fight, because a cancelled event not only costs them money, but then they have 2 hours of dead air they have to fill.

Technically they could write language into their agreements that could stipulate something like "no catchweight" as a condition of buying the broadcast rights from the promoter, but who knows if they even give a damn about it. A guy can miss weight at the division limit also, and there's nothing HBO can do about it. Most likely they will just choose to stay away from guys who have a history of missing weight (like Guzman, etc)........

Comment

Would love Geale coming in at 160. If only....but Geale, like most athletes around the world today, doesn't have the balls to pull a move like this. It's pretty simple, Cotto WILL NOT call the fight off, especially since Roc Nation have invested in him so heavily. Yes they may take a certain percentage of Geale's purse but does he have to give it? Since there isn't anything in the contract making him do that.

Wish Geale is a dog in this one.

Comment

I hope geale comes in at 160 so we have a fair fight, that's all I really care about. Sucks when a fighter is at a disadvantage.

Comment

This whole cotto situation with the cw is lame but geale and co are acting like they didn't agree to this. Why all the b1tching and moaning now???

Comment

Working...
                      X