Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do my form / punches look?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought your form was pretty good, nice orthodox style and tidy footwork.

There was a tendency to drop your hands from your face as the video went on......and I think you could throw your punches a touch faster.

But all in all, not bad.

Comment

think it was said...at times ur back foot comes off ground..u wanna b on ur toes but weight shouldnt come off it...I like to teach the thumb pointing at ground at end of the punch..adds more snap and actually gives u bout an extra .5inch of coverage on ur head all in all tho looked good by all means..just some small advice...

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
        - You pull your right hand back slightly when throwing the jab like how someone draws an arrow in archery. Keep it on your chin.

- You need to sit down on your weight, your right foot is off the ground when throwing the cross and taking away it's power.

- Seem a bit flat footed, move around on the balls of your feet.

- Need to stop making excuses about being sore.

^^ Thank you, def will work on that.

Comment

Good form, nice right straight. Only thing I can add is a point about your jab - you like to throw a sort of power jab that you step into. It looks pretty good but instead of stepping then throwing you should throw just a moment before you start to step. This way you won't telegraph the jab quite so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
            ^^ Thank you, def will work on that.
            Sorry if I came across at criticizing.

Just a few little tweaks and you should be good to go.

Comment

You look good. For the hook you have to lock the shoulder and throw it with the body not the arm. You lean around and twist in with it. Practice on the heavy...if you do it right and lock the shoulder and twist the body around into the punch pivoting off the other foot from the ball of it...you should be able to hit the heavy hard without feeling it in you shoulder. This also makes your hook very heavy because your body weight is behind it. If you are doing it wrong and hit the heavy hard using the arm without the body and without locking the shoulder socket it will hurt in the shoulder. Throw it with your hands up beside your face. Practice leaning in and twisting you body without actually throwing your hand so you get used to the motion 1st...think of it as 1st trying to hit someone with your shoulder using your body...then when you have the motion down lock your arm in the shoulder with your hand at you head and power the bag. This will help you form a proper hook that won't injure your shoulder. It's a bit hard to explain like this without demonstrating so I hope I'm making myself understood. A good hook is the most devastating punch because it's the hardest to see coming (the punch you don't see does the worst damage) and it hits the head from the side where the neck is weakest causing the vertebrae to pinch nerves.
              Last edited by jaded; 09-16-2011, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X