Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Kovalev Will Need More Than Power, I'm Not Afraid!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Punching power alone almost never is at the top level, nonetheless it IS a factor. TBH though I think Ward's biggest challenge will be controlling Kovalevs movement. Still can't make a decisive call on this fight though. I been sitting on the fence so long the splinters have got splinters.
    hahaha, yes, i know the feeling!

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
      You see how good Kovalev is? Simply going the distance is an accomplishment

Hopkins went the distance because he was surviving all night since the first round, and regardless of what anyone says, lets be honest.... Kovalev was OK with showing off he can box and didn't really go for any sort of knockout until the last 1.5 minutes where Hopkins taunted him and Kovalev almost took his head off. He could of done that in any round and ended it.

Kovalev also just wanted to get some rounds in vs. Chilemba, he wore bigger gloves and was basically just using the tricky and deceptive Chilemba as a sparring partner to prepare for Ward.

Ward is going to be in survival just like Hopkins was once he feels Kovalev's power- how is Ward supposed to win a decision when he's not going to be able to land any offense? Using your legs to merely survive to the 12th round so you can save yourself, is not a formula for success, but it's exactly what Ward is going to have to resort to (not by choice), an as I said, as a result, it's going to be completely one-way traffic for the majority of the fight.

IMO
      Interesting. I believe many of you see Ward as the second coming of Floyd Mayweather. However, Ward has shown a powerful inside game against bigger opponents (see Froch), very unlike FMW.

It is possible that Ward will bring it to Kovalev at different points within the fight. The Krusher has power but has HIS chin been tested?

I have to believe this is real a possibility as this makes the fight that much more intriguing for me.

Comment

Regardless of who you think will win, this is a hell of a good match-up. Two top ten pound for pound fighters. While almost everyone else is rarely, if ever, in a fight against a top opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post

Anything else?
          Not sure if you noticed, but Kovalev is white. So, do you have any links where Kovalev says his power is enough?

Comment

ward keeps screaming that he's not afraid.who is he trying to convince? us or himself? hmmm ward might be shook.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
              ward keeps screaming that he's not afraid.who is he trying to convince? us or himself? hmmm ward might be shook.
              I think it's more like he's probably sick of hearing how powerful Kovalev is.

It might actually be a dull fight, very tactical.

Ward is really smart and Kovalev is pretty patient so it might be more of a chess match.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                Only King has had the balls to bet with me. IT'S NOT EVEN REAL MONEY.
                I will bet with you for ****s and giggles, Skills.

Name your price.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
                  Kovalev has not seen anything like Ward. He's in for a RUDE awakening if he thinks punching power alone will be enough to win this fight. IT WON'T.
                  Well, I was goingto say how wrong you were, but seeing that you put RUDE and IT WONT in capitals, I felt you must really be right.

Easy easy work this for Kovalev, it goes like this.

* Can Ward stop Kovalev? Answer = no

* Can Ward keep Kov off him all 12 rounds? Answer = no

* KOvalev to stop or dominate Ward, like he does everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                    talking about not being afraid is kinda contradictory imo. if you are not afraid don't bring it up
                    Ha ha, I was going to post exactly the same thing.

Ward sounds like he's selling himself on the job.

He can't do anything about Kovalev, that ring is going to seem very very small when he is getting hunted down.

I think Kov will destroy that phony, likely inside the first half of the fight.

I'm not trolling, I believe it and will be wagering on that, with a hedge of Kov to win by any outcome. Ward is probably skilled enough to survive, but Kov can win by boxing, bullying or stopping him. Easy bet this.

Comment

Originally posted by fats View Post
                      Interesting. I believe many of you see Ward as the second coming of Floyd Mayweather. However, Ward has shown a powerful inside game against bigger opponents (see Froch), very unlike FMW.

It is possible that Ward will bring it to Kovalev at different points within the fight. The Krusher has power but has HIS chin been tested?

I have to believe this is real a possibility as this makes the fight that much more intriguing for me.
                      What are you talking about? Do poeple on here just make stuff up?
                      How is Froch an example of a bigger opponent? Froch is a skinny lad who walks around not much bigger than his fighting weight. Ward fought at LH in the olympics and admits he had trouble doing 168, so he moved up.
                      As JDJ says, Kovalev will simply walk right through this guy's feather dusters, and destroy him. This is pretty much a no contest, get your money on Kovalev - it's a banker.

Comment

Working...
                      X