No announcement yet.

Most technical boxers of all-time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most technical boxers of all-time

Who are the most technical boxers of all time?

Willie Pep
    Pernell Whitaker
    Mayweather
    ________
    Xxx amateurs
    Last edited by FreshPrince; 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Joe Louis
      Eder Jofre
      Larry Holmes
      Alexis Arguello
      James Toney
      Ricardo Lopez
      Pernell Whitaker
      Bernard Hopkins
      Floyd Mayweather
      Buddy McGirt
      Marvin Hagler
      Wladimir Klitschko
      Juan Manuel Marquez
      Willie Pep

Comment

Hopkins and (although I can't take him) Mayweather should be up there with the best.

Comment

willie pep hands down. I mean honestly, he won a round without throwing a single punch! thats skill....

Comment

Originally posted by mickyward5656 View Post
            willie pep hands down. I mean honestly, he won a round without throwing a single punch! thats skill....
            this was proved to be false i believe

Comment

Juan Manuel Marquez

Roberto Duran I think became very technical later in his Career also.

Bernard Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by mickyward5656 View Post
                So legend has it, but by many this is not belived to be true.

Firstly the fighter he was fighting was Jackie Graves on 1946-07-25 in Minnesota, United States, the fight was a battle were Jackie was dropped 9 times and Pep two.In a interview with Graves years later he says he can't remember not landing a punch on Pep, as the fight was a battle from the opening bell. Also boxrec have under the fight

''Pep "combined a punch with his much vaunted boxing ability to knock out Graves." Graves was floored 9 times. Pep was down twice in 6th. Graves broke left hand in round 2. Falsely reported for years as match where Pep won 3rd round without throwing a punch. This story was officially debunked in 2003. Attendance: 9,037. Gate: $39,254.40''

So this is belived not to be true, and you may or have probaly heard it from Bert ''Randoplh Sugar who always goes on about this story like he was actually at the fight watching it live.
                Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 04-19-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
                  So legend has it, but by many this is not belived to be true.
                  Firstly the fighter he was fighting was Jackie Graves on 1946-07-25 in Minnesota, United States, the fight was a battle were Jackie was dropped 9 times and Pep two.In a interview with Graves years later he says he can't remember not landing a punch on Pep, as the fight was a battle from the opening bell. Also boxrec have under the fight
                  ''Pep "combined a punch with his much vaunted boxing ability to knock out Graves." Graves was floored 9 times. Pep was down twice in 6th. Graves broke left hand in round 2. Falsely reported for years as match where Pep won 3rd round without throwing a punch. This story was officially debunked in 2003. Attendance: 9,037. Gate: $39,254.40''

So this is belived not to be true, and you may or have probaly heard it from Bert ''Randoplh Sugar who always goes on about this stroy like he was actually at the fight.
                  It may have happened but it certainly didn't happen against Jackie Graves.

Pep is still a great boxer whether he won a round without throwing a punch or not. I don't think such myths should be used to enhance his legacy, it's great enough as it is.

I've always been impressed by old time boxers such as Gene Tunney and Tommy Loughran, also "The Old Master" Joe Gans if we go way back into the early 1900's, real pioneers of the sport.

Tommy Loughran:

Gene Tunney:

Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Been Some great Tecnical fighters over the years

.Gene Tunney
                    .Willie Pep
                    .Benny Leonard
                    .Jack Johnson
                    .Eder Jofre
                    .Jose Napoles
                    .Maxie Rosenbloom
                    .Pernell Whitaker
                    .Ricardo Lopez
                    .Bernard Hopkins