Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't care if Martin gets KO'd in round 1, he deserves respect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The man haven't done anything to warrant the "HATE" not his fault his opponent got injured and couldn't continue.

I do give him props for stepping up and for his first title defense taking on a dangerous opponent and not playing it safe which he really could've done for a year

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly. He has major nuts for taking this fight as his first defense

Comment

I agree Charles Martin deserves our respect.. Wilder would never come over here and defend his belt against a strong young opponent like Joshua

Wilder will avoid Fury and Joshua for the rest of his career

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
          That man has balls. Could have easily fought bums for okay pay on PBC until 2017 with the IBF allowing voluntaries for the rest of the year but instead is going for the big fight with Joshua away from home which he will be a huge underdog in.

I really like Joshua too, but I won't be mad if he lost. We need more champions like Martin in boxing. I guess people will find a way to hate on him and say he's "cashing in" even though he could of done what Wilder did and got good pay for it while getting noticed in the US.

He's taking a huge gamble.
          It is definitely a tough fight for Martin. I have no problem as a boxing fan giving him the benefit of the doubt. The thing is AJ is also a stylistic nightmare for Martin and perhaps a lot of naysayers don't see that...

Martin is a big strong, relatively hard punching, immobile heavyweight, AJ is a bigger, strong, harder, better punching heavyweight with some mobility.

There is the X factor and there is the chin factor but the odds are right, Martin has to have some confidance to proceed.

For the people that think he is "cashing out" by doing this, you are sinister in your lack of optimism regarding human nature. That attitude is extremely cynical and Martin does not look like a cynical, chess playing benefit, liability analyst. He even did some time...showing a compulsive desire to proceed at all costs! There still are people that want to be great at what they do folks...martin isn't a great fighter, not even very good, but he gets an A for putting his "A" on the line, and upsets happen. I will be rooting for him.

Comment

You can't please everyone, some people see what he did as selling his belt... While some see it as ballzy, he could have build his boxing record with some meaningless fights then go for the highest bidder but he seems to have enough confidence in himself to go away from home as a champion to defend his belt against a good hyped up prospect... I cannot criticise either fighter at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
              That man has balls. Could have easily fought bums for okay pay on PBC until 2017 with the IBF allowing voluntaries for the rest of the year but instead is going for the big fight with Joshua away from home which he will be a huge underdog in.

I really like Joshua too, but I won't be mad if he lost. We need more champions like Martin in boxing. I guess people will find a way to hate on him and say he's "cashing in" even though he could of done what Wilder did and got good pay for it while getting noticed in the US.

He's taking a huge gamble.
              And the winner to fight Wilder, then Joseph Parker. Then the winner of that to fight Shannon Brigg's.... Let's go champ!!!

Comment

I respect him because he didn't delay for as long as he could until he was forced to fight an actual contender. Sure he is getting paid good but the payday would still be there even after a couple of lousy defenses against really weak opposition. So for that I give him some minor props.

Comment

Definitely deserves some admiration as the champion putting himself at a disadvantage. How much is he making for this bout?

Comment

I find it difficult to have much respect for fat athletes. Hopefully this guy knows how to let his hands go, that last fight was sht, by both guys.

Comment

I got respect for anyone who gets in the ring or octagon & is willing to hit others in the head & get hit in the head.

That said I think it is a bold move for both guys tbh. Martin coulda fought 2 or 3 bs opponents til he had a mandatory who very likely woulda been Joshua anyway, but instead he's throwing himself in with one of the most hyped HW prospects since Mike Tyson. And while I see Martin on par with Dillian Whyte, more or less, I think Joshua is opening himself up to more scrutiny at the elite level if he wins vs Martin before maybe he's ready to be taking on world class opposition each & every time out.

Comment

Working...
                      X